Clean and lube disc-brakes

Nilsemann
Nilsemann Posts: 31
edited October 2018 in Workshop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swwA2PwCIAw was a nice video.

But i wonder if i can use discbrake cleaner insted of degreaser?.. or will that damage the pistons.
I have never cleand the caliper this way. only with bikewash and water and draged a cloth through it. And some times discbrake cleaner.
(i use d.b.-cleaner regulary on pads and rotors)

And is any kind of degreaser ok? Like muc off?

And.. is teflon-oilspray ok?

And my normal web-shop is sold out on Park Tool SAC-2 and it seems to me like TF2 Lubricants Unisex Carbon Fibre Gripper Paste for Bikes, is much of the same.

Thanks for any tips and help.

sorry for poor english

Comments

• Generally the best advice is bar washing dirt off the diskbrakes leave alone, they do best left alone on the whole. Or rather don’t spray cleaning products on them unless there is preexisting problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2018
    What he said. ^^^^^^^^.

And spraying any sort of oil or Teflon stuff anywhere near brakes is just stupid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above disc brakes if working well are best left alone, any kind of lubricant near them is asking for trouble.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know someone who had terribly squeaky brakes. So he oiled them....
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    They are removing the pads in the video, they aren't spraying anything near the braking parts of the brakes.

I still don't think what they are doing is a good idea though. I think you'll end up damaging either the piston or seals, you might accidently pop a piston out and the grease is just going to trap grit and dirt.
  • cooldad wrote:
    What he said. ^^^^^^^^.

And spraying any sort of oil or Teflon stuff anywhere near brakes is just stupid.

I know that i shall no spray oil on pads/rotors..

My question was if I can use the the TF2-paste instead og the Park Tool that shown in the video.

I use MucOff discbrake cleaner on pads and rotors 2-4 times a month,,
  • frisbee wrote:
    They are removing the pads in the video, they aren't spraying anything near the braking parts of the brakes.

I still don't think what they are doing is a good idea though. I think you'll end up damaging either the piston or seals, you might accidently pop a piston out and the grease is just going to trap grit and dirt.

When I do a "big-clean" I take out the pads... use MU. d.b. cleaner..and use in rotors as well.
    I then use the bikewash... and spray on the bike... inlcude the emty caliper... and drag a rag through the caliper.

When a idiot like me se a video like the one i linked to... I feel..... "Oh.... this seems smart....and not to hard.... I love my bike... and want it to be i shape....but I don't have the right product"... in this case the paste that the dude use
  • How I maintain and clean my hydraulic disc brakes:

1 - Replace the pads when worn out
    2 - Errrrr
    3 - Ride my bike
  • cooldad
    I can't be bothered to watch random videos, but why would you talk about carbon gripper paste and brakes in the same sentence?

Or am I missing something?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I can't be bothered to watch random videos, but why would you talk about carbon gripper paste and brakes in the same sentence?

If you se the video....

The dude uses Park Tool-paste on the pistons after degreasing them.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I just watched the video... He uses silicon grease on the pistons, not carbon gripper paste. No idea where you got that from. Don't get carbon grip paste anywhere near your brakes.

What they also imply at the start is that these steps are needed only when the dirt is hindering performance. As everyone else has said, until they stop working as well as they should (which may never happen), leave the brakes alone.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    I just watched the video... He uses silicon grease on the pistons, not carbon gripper paste. No idea where you got that from. Don't get carbon grip paste anywhere near your brakes.

What they also imply at the start is that these steps are needed only when the dirt is hindering performance. As everyone else has said, until they stop working as well as they should (which may never happen), leave the brakes alone.

ok. I see.

And my bad... i mixd up with som other video... where he used park tool paste....

And then i wil not do this things.. since everything works fine... and I am good at cleaning regulearly

case cloesed
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Nilsemann wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

If you se the video....

The dude uses Park Tool-paste on the pistons after degreasing them.

FYI the dude in the park video is using a 50g tube of Servisol clear silicon grease. It is usually used to protect and water proof electrical contacts, it can be used as a high temperature resistant lubricant. As ready mentioned unless your caliper pistons are sticking it is not necessary to lubricate them. If you are going to do this you need to check compatibility, to avoid potential damage to the piston seals.
  • thanks.

but it is safe to use some bikewash when the pistons is not out... to clean the calipers from general dust/dirt
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Can we finally spray the lubes with abandon without removing the wheels?!1

https://muc-off.com/collections/bicycle ... ake-covers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    or dont use chain lubes from a spray can or an oil that splatters the rotor. There are really simple solutions that dont involve more stuff.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cooldad
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools