Cheap Bike bag for in car

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello
I want a soft, cheap bike bag that I can put the bike in whilst only taking off the wheels.
This is to be stored in a campervan when I am not on the bike (not insured on bike rack). There will be a cat in there hence the need for protection and I would like it hidden from view but I dont want anything excessively bulky or where I need to start removing parts.
Does such a thing exist and if so can someone point me in the right direction? Already have a BBA for flying after good advice on this forum so just want something cheap and cheerful for this purpose.
Thanks

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    cld531c wrote:
    Hello
    I want a soft, cheap bike bag that I can put the bike in whilst only taking off the wheels.
    This is to be stored in a campervan when I am not on the bike (not insured on bike rack). There will be a cat in there hence the need for protection and I would like it hidden from view but I dont want anything excessively bulky or where I need to start removing parts.
    Does such a thing exist and if so can someone point me in the right direction? Already have a BBA for flying after good advice on this forum so just want something cheap and cheerful for this purpose.
    Thanks

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-complete ... heel-bags/
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    That Wiggle bag looks suitable. I use a similar 11-year-old Planet X bag in my camper van. It fits perfectly across the van behind the rear bench seat. I move it to between the two front seats when I fold the back seat down to sleep.

Here’s the latest version:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXSUDLB ... e-bike-bag
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What is the cat going to do to the bike ???
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't know if this is what you have in mind...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Veloso ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Or at the very cheap end of the market (not soft though), your's for a crippling £3 on Sunday:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... leId=15698
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Would a travel blanket not do the same job?

If I was a thief a bike bag would be like a red rag to a bull, whereas I'd probably just ignore a travel blanket. Plus the cat will probably enjoy sleeping on it ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cld531c
    Thanks all - I was ideally hoping for something where I could keep the bars and seat etc on. Might have to get the sewing machine and some old sleeping bags out!
    Fenix - Cat will probably knock it over (he's clumsy)
  • cld531c
    Looking at it I think a combination of Londoncommuter's blanket and CitizenLee's Lidl special will be perfect!!!!
    Cheers
  • mercia_man
    cld531c wrote:
    Thanks all - I was ideally hoping for something where I could keep the bars and seat etc on. Might have to get the sewing machine and some old sleeping bags out!
    Fenix - Cat will probably knock it over (he's clumsy)

My Planet X bag allows you to keep bars and seat on. I just take off wheels, put them in the internal wheel pockets, and turn the handlebars and forks to one side. Saddle and post stay in place. No need to undo anything. Or you may prefer an unpadded bag like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tifosi-Light-W ... B004X4P7XO
  • cld531c
    Thanks - planet x one linked to showed bars off but as my bike is only small they may be ok on....Tifosi one looks like it could do the trick too
  • mercia_man
    My bike is a medium large with a 576mm virtual top tube and fairly high saddle and it fits PX bag easily with everything bar wheels in place.
  • As said above; forget a bike bag, I travelled down to Alp d'Huez in July with two bikes (wheels off) in the boot of my estate car surrounded by our luggage and each wrapped in a cheap Asda single duvet (abt £5) provided both frames with adequate protection and cushioning.

I put Chain Johnny's on each bike to keep the duvets clean-ish. They did the job nicely, and can be used again for other trips.
  • mercia_man
    As said above; forget a bike bag, I travelled down to Alp d'Huez in July with two bikes (wheels off) in the boot of my estate car surrounded by our luggage and each wrapped in a cheap Asda single duvet (abt £5) provided both frames with adequate protection and cushioning.

I put Chain Johnny's on each bike to keep the duvets clean-ish. They did the job nicely, and can be used again for other trips.

I used to do that when I travelled with two bikes and camping gear in a hatchback. And it worked well.

But now I have a camper van with more internal space, a proper bike bag with carrying handles is so much more convenient for protecting my bike, moving it around and avoiding the transfer of dirt and grease into my van's living space. It just depends whether you are willing to spend around £50 on a bag or save money with a DIY solution. I already had my PX bag which I had bought for flying to the Maratona, and it's now having a new lease of life in my van.