Cervelo S3 owners? Size question

pedrojake
pedrojake Posts: 229
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, having fought the itch for many years, it’s time to bite the bullet and and move forward with the Cervélo purchase I’ve always wanted. The S3 is well discounted. There is nowhere local enough to me to try for size. I’ve tried goemetrygeeks and compared with my two existing bikes : de Rosa super king and a Cannondale super six, both of which are 52’s. I’m still stuck between a 51 and a 54,and just firing the question out there if anyone has experience of sizing, ie is the fit big or small for size. 5’8”, 30 inside leg.

Comments

• Welcome to the joys of bike buying when you’re 5-8. I’ve had this delema as I’m the same height as yourself A lot depends on flexibility. Good flexibility go 51. I don’t always buy into the theory if inbetween go for the smaller size . I’ve gone for small and medium down the years .
    You sound like you have a longer body in relation to your legs . I’ve ridden my mates 54cm cervelo s2 and found it fitted perfectly however my flexibility is shite and I do prefer less drop than the pro look . However I’m longer in body also .
    You really need to try them both
  • I’m the same height as you and I ride a 54cm S3. It fits me perfectly and has been an absolute dream bike to own. I’m in my early 40’s with medium flexibility. I have kept the stock stem of 100mm but changed the bars to Cervelo AR06 aero. I’ve also replaced the wheels to Zipp 302.
  • pedrojake
    Yep Gary, wee short legs don’t help! I’ve had a couple of bikes in the past which I felt were a hair too big … my current TT definitely is. The two I have at the minute are spot on. ‘Reach’ doesn’t seem an issue on comparing geometry, ‘stack’ does seem larger...... this doesn’t mean a lot to me TBH!!!!! Trying both would be the answer but just isn’t viable where I live
  • pedrojake
    Frostorama, cheers for that. Reassuring that you and Gary both tried and tested the 54 and it feels good. Yours sounds a beaut, get some pics up! How do you find the Zipps? The stock wheels would need to go.......
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I’m 6ft and ride a 56 (S5, same geo).

Long body, 765mm saddle to BB.

Slammed with a 120mm stem.

I’d suggest if looking for a slightly comfier position, to opt for the 54. You can then slam the stem and it’ll look better than a smaller frame packed out with spacers.

PS: They don’t have horizontal top tubes at all, they slope quite considerably.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • pedrojake
    At our height it usually comes down to looks and whether you can live more with spacers on the 51cm or less exposed seat tube on the 54cm! No denying it looks cooler slammed at the front but the S3 has a fairly horizontal top tube....

One of the things I like about it is, in my opinion and compared to other bikes out there, is the sloping top tube.....
  • PedroJake wrote:
    Frostorama, cheers for that. Reassuring that you and Gary both tried and tested the 54 and it feels good. Yours sounds a beaut, get some pics up! How do you find the Zipps? The stock wheels would need to go.......

Hi

The Zipps have made a huge improvement to how the bike feels. The Mavic Cosmics were robust but felt a little sluggish. I’ve ridden the Zipps in club rides, TT’s and chaingangs and they hold speed really well.

Obligatory picture against a wall:

42278932780_9e52529096_k.jpg
  • PedroJake wrote:
    At our height it usually comes down to looks and whether you can live more with spacers on the 51cm or less exposed seat tube on the 54cm! No denying it looks cooler slammed at the front but the S3 has a fairly horizontal top tube....

One of the things I like about it is, in my opinion and compared to other bikes out there, is the sloping top tube.....

Sorry, just meant it's not "sportivey" with a huge slope. Agree it's not SuperSix horizontal or anything.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    frostorama wrote:
    PedroJake wrote:

Hi

The Zipps have made a huge improvement to how the bike feels. The Mavic Cosmics were robust but felt a little sluggish. I’ve ridden the Zipps in club rides, TT’s and chaingangs and they hold speed really well.

Good photo - tyres, valves, wheels etc aligned and in the big ring.

Just noticed though - is that a small christmas lantern hanging from the back of the saddle ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • That’s the GoPro session mount, I forgot to remove it before I took the photo....doh!
  • pedrojake
    frostorama wrote:
    PedroJake wrote:

Hi

That looks class bud, I can see that putting a smile on your face.
  • I’d swap that for my Mrs
  • pedrojake
    Trigger pulled on the 54 discounted at Wheelbase
  • PedroJake wrote:

The ultegra one in red ? Make sure you stick a photo up . I’d be tempted by that myself
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    That 54 looks nice. Any chance you can measure the actual seat tube length from centre BB to top of seat tube (ignoring the actual seat post). Just working out how much seat post I’d have showing for my usual saddle to BB measurement)

Cheers!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I'd be quite interested in riding a newer S3. Back in 2011 (I think - the black and silver one) it was really quite a dull and uninspiring ride and the handling was far from lively, even though it was probably efficient. I wonder if they've moved on and corrected all this.
  • pedrojake
    PedroJake wrote:

The ultegra one in red ? Make sure you stick a photo up . I’d be tempted by that myself

In procrastinating so long over size, the red / black has sold out, so going for the black/ yellow.
  • pauly69
    I went for black and fluro anyway, red is too Man U or Liverpool for my liking ;)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    202's?
  • The wheels in the picture are 302’s
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    frostorama wrote:
    The wheels in the picture are 302’s
    Thanks. Look great on that frame. A mate has one (S3) and is looking for new wheels.
  • pauly69
    Picked mine up on Friday, I’ll be swapping the Ultegra over for etap from another bike. Can any of you recent purchasers spare me the rubber blank/grommet that fits in the downtube. The one without the cable entry, it’s a full blank. They supply one of each in the baggie but for etap I need and extra full blank. Much appreciated if you can assist, obv I’ll cover postage. Happy to send the extra di2 equivalent in return.
  • pedrojake
    pauly69 wrote:
    Picked mine up on Friday, I’ll be swapping the Ultegra over for etap from another bike. Can any of you recent purchasers spare me the rubber blank/grommet that fits in the downtube. The one without the cable entry, it’s a full blank. They supply one of each in the baggie but for etap I need and extra full blank. Much appreciated if you can assist, obv I’ll cover postage. Happy to send the extra di2 equivalent in return.

Impatiently awaiting delivery.........
    How does it look in the flesh?
  • pauly69
    Nice frame, I’m liking the black and fluoro :) . I’m another between 51 and 54 size (went for 54) so I’ll have less seatpost, but on the plus side I’ll be able to slam the stem. Waiting for various bits so I can swap groups over.
  • frostorama wrote:
    PedroJake wrote:

Hi

Sorry to bump an old thread , what is your saddle height here from bb do you know. Have an opportunity to purchase one