Impact of doping on cycling

Hickling
Hickling Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road general
just gathering some data as part of my project as to how you think doping has affected cycling in general and as a sport.

also- how you think it may have changed societies perception of professional cycling

whether you think the sport is clean now and if not how much doping do you think still goes on?

Comments

• I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hickling wrote:
    just gathering some data as part of my project as to how you think doping has affected cycling in general and as a sport.

also- how you think it may have changed societies perception of professional cycling

weather you think the sport is clean now and if not how much doping do you think still goes on?

Maybe concentrate on your spelling first if you intend submitting a dissertation on the subject.

Doping in cycling has been blown out of all proportion. I wager other sports are far more rife with it, but don't get the bad publicity of cycling due to Armstrong. Some nations like the UK and USA are all too ready to expose cheats, but other nations could be argued to be complicit in the cover ups. The Spanish ruling that the blood bags seized as part of the investigation into doping should be destroyed might have exposed all manner of athletes. The Spanish national football team have never been as good as the period before the blood bags were seized.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/other ... -bags.html
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Hickling wrote:

whether you think the sport is clean now and if not how much doping do you think still goes on?

I could not care less. I don't race, I cycle for my own reasons and other cyclists taking performance enhancers doesnt affect me what so ever.

I do think there should be some sort of race with no rules at all regarding what people ingest or inject. That way everyone can take as much dope as they like and it wouldnt matter.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes no doubt lots of the public see pro cycling as drug fuelled. My educated guess is that perception is out of date though they probably still push the boundaries where they can.

Doping probably has meant the sport having less money in it through sponsorship etc though riders still earn more now than ever.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Mostly already been said but I do think if the casual observer knew exactly how much doping goes on in all sports, they probably wouldn't watch. Cycling as been attached to doping since time began, simply because of the type of sport it is, but it's not lone. Professional riders (and amateurs) are still getting done for EPO, it's just a smaller minority. I suspect you're talking around 20-30% of Tour riders as apposed to about 90% of previous eras. Sad but probably true.

Athletics, Football, Basketball, Boxing, NFL, Baseball...everything. All rife and I can't see it changing when so much money and fame is at stake. When the authorities are either hiding it, being complicit or facilitating it. Until this is stopped it will continue to go on.

The Spanish blood bag case of Puerto was handled badly and the bags should not of been destroyed, which was clearly done to protect all involved.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    There’s a friendly chap on twitter who will help you out. Search digger_forum