10speed cassette on RD8050 (DI2)

Highvoltage
Highvoltage Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I have bought a Canyon Endurace w/di2 (RD8050). There is a 11 speed cassette on it.
My question is: On my Elite indoor trainer there is a 10 speed cassett. Can I use the trainer with the old 10 speed cassette or do I have to put on a 11speed?
Is it possible using the e-tube software to define 10speed?

Regards
Niels

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You can try it but I doubt it and what a pain in the backside having to keep re-indexing your gears. Why not just buy a cheap 11 speed 105 cassette and stick that on your trainer?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    You can try it but I doubt it and what a pain in the backside having to keep re-indexing your gears. Why not just buy a cheap 11 speed 105 cassette and stick that on your trainer?

Yes, I did by a 11 speed 105, but i just want to know if it's possible without any trouble, and also the 10 speed ultegra cassette has only been run 20 hours on the trainer.

Regards
    Niels
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    philthy3 wrote:

Yes, I did by a 11 speed 105, but i just want to know if it's possible without any trouble, and also the 10 speed ultegra cassette has only been run 20 hours on the trainer.

Regards
    Niels

Not possible, spacing’s different. If you have an 11 speed cassette already just stop faffing and put in on.
  • It is possible as I quite happily use a 10 speed cassette on the turbo on an 11 speed set up.

For my purposes I only use 5-6 sprockets in the middle of the cassette with no need for cable adjustment nor issues regarding spacing.

Give it a go but don't shift all the way to the left as the chain will end up in the spokes with the one extra shift.
  • mike1-2
    Just because it’s ‘possible’ doesn’t mean you should do it. 11 speed chains are also slightly thinner than 10 speed. Feel free to accelerate your chain wear for the sake of changing a cassette over.
  • Hey, you were wrong about it being possible so you're not really a reliable source of cycling knowledge.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    What is the problem with fitting the 105 cassette to the turbo?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Just sell the 10
  • mike1-2
    Hey, you were wrong about it being possible so you're not really a reliable source of cycling knowledge.

And you run an 11 speed setup on a 10 speed cassette. Who’s the retard here?
    It’s also possible to jump off a 5 storey building and not die, still not a great idea though is it?
  • Mike wrote:
    Hey, you were wrong about it being possible so you're not really a reliable source of cycling knowledge.

It’s also possible to jump off a 5 storey building and not die, still not a great idea though is it?
    I'd say with the irrational anger and that absurd example we don't need to ask who the retard is, not that you should be using that word as an adult.

Best to relax and calm down. This is a cycling forum not the Thunderdome.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It is possible as I quite happily use a 10 speed cassette on the turbo on an 11 speed set up.

For my purposes I only use 5-6 sprockets in the middle of the cassette with no need for cable adjustment nor issues regarding spacing.

Give it a go but don't shift all the way to the left as the chain will end up in the spokes with the one extra shift.

This is Di2 not mechanical and your example still does not work as you point out that you don't have the full range of the gears.

OP, so you have a cassette with barely any use. Big deal. MTFU and bite the bullet. Stick the 11 speed cassette on the turbo and enjoy rather than wasting time trying to knacker your expensive Di2 set up.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mike1-2
    Mike wrote:

I'd say with the irrational anger and that absurd example we don't need to ask who the retard is, not that you should be using that word as an adult.

Best to relax and calm down. This is a cycling forum not the Thunderdome.
    It’s acceptable to call someone a retard when they are one