Mystery Creaking

Rowan404
Rowan404 Posts: 104
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a GT Sanction that creaks A LOT and I at this point I have no clue where it is coming from. It creaks while pedaling so I assumed it was one of two things. At first I replaced the bushings in the I-drive dog bone as they are notorious for creaking. That didn't change anything. Just now, I replaced the bottom bracket and still nothing changed. Here is a link for a video I took of the creaking to give you an idea: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OyuA- ... I9Syqm5Get
Appreciate any insight on this. Also I don't think it's the shock bushings because it doesn't creak when the shock compresses.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Does the bike have old fashioned QR's? If so change them for a good pair of shimano and do them up tight.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So does it creak if you just push down on the top tube and not the pedal?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rowan404
    It creaks when pedaling and pushing down on the pedals but not when pressing down on the top tube. It's a 2017 so it has all the up to date boost thru-axles
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Does it creak when in the saddle and standing to peddle?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Could try a bit of lube on your seat post.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Grease your pedal and crank treads?
    Dave
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it only creaks with a pedal pressed it must be pedal, BB or the cranks aren’t rightened together properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My bike only creaked when I pedalled and it turned out the bottom headset bearing had gone. Some of the creaks come from less obvious places, just take your time to carefully check everything.
  • Rowan404
    I'll try greasing the pedal threads and see if that helps. Everything else in that area is thoroughly greased and put on right. I know it's not seat related because it creaks when standing as well.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Cracked frame? :(
  • JW599
    JW599 Posts: 30
    Have you also checked for loose spokes?

These can creak under pressure when the nips are loose.
  • Rowan404
    Well I finally got it to stop creaking. It turned out to be a little screw in the I-Drive system that must've not been greased during assembly.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Result!