Help with a Canyon selling mix up

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello
I just got a new bike from Purecycling who are a sister co' of Canyon. Canyon sent me there as they said a Canyon size L would not be ready for some time and they had no probable delivery date. So, I went to the site and bought an L there. The spec says the crank length is 172.5 on Purecycling. Same as my present ones. The Canyon site says 175 cranks for an L. So I was happy with the former at 172.5.

The bike comes as an Ultimate in brand name and not Canyon. I m ok with that too. But the bike has turned up with 175's and the guy on the chatline admits it was a mistake on the purecycling site. But I want what I saw on the spec sheet just before I bought the bike. THEY sent me to Purecycling (PC) . He also said ''just try it out and see'' but I fail to see see why I should.

He also stated that they are going to change to spec on the PC to a 175 to avoid this issue. I kept the transcript of the conversation. He flatly refused to tell me the spec for the cranks on the PC site for an L size bike. The cranks go up to 175 on the XL version.

I am very upset at this as I feel I can not ride this bike for fear they tell me it is now ''used'' and I should have informed them of the mistake. What can I do as he simply stopped talking to me on the chatline?

Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've found no noticeable difference with crank length of that's any help.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Not sure what I'd do TBH. This is one of the problems of distance selling/buying...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    If Purecycling sent you the wrong thing, just contact them and send it back.

FWIW I can massively tell the difference between sizes of crank length.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So send the bike back and buy somewhere else.

Or live with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A lot of fuss over 2.5mm - sorry but it is.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    All of the above are true.
    Imposter wrote:
    A lot of fuss over 2.5mm - sorry but it is.
    Yes, it may be if you're like this
    cougie wrote:
    I've found no noticeable difference with crank length of that's any help.
    But some people are more sensitive to small changes
    joey54321 wrote:
    FWIW I can massively tell the difference between sizes of crank length.
    Ultimately
    Svetty wrote:
    This is one of the problems of distance selling/buying...
    Grief like this is the price you pay and why it may be worth going to a LBS to buy a bike.
    So I would try it and then take your pick from this.
    cooldad wrote:
    So send the bike back and buy somewhere else.
    Or live with it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Being able to 'tell the difference' is not the same as the difference actually 'making a difference', if that makes sense...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I get that's it's a matter of principle and products should match their listed description/spec, but since it's happened now what would be your ideal outcome/resolution? Looks like you get 30 day returns, but I assume it would be at your cost to return it?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Get them to send you the right size chainset and fit it yourself? Gotta be cheaper for them than paying for a return of a whole bike, which I'm guessing they are obliged to do since they haven't supplied the spec their website displayed?.

If crank length didn't matter I doubt manufacturers would continue to make them in a range of sizes, but I can't tell the difference between mine. Some people though are unusually sensitive to tiny differences in crank length, saddle height etc
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    Aerofoil or round tubes makes no difference but some people insist on getting any aero bike.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    gsk82 wrote:
    My opinion is right and trumps physics and reality.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D