All round performance tyre 700x30/32/35

kancell10
kancell10 Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I've recently gotten back into cycling and bought a Boardman CX Team (https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... 5cm-frames) which I absolutely love due to it's versatility. I'm using the bike about 3 times a week for 20 - 30 km cycle, taking in 60% country (rough) roads and 40% trails/gravel/wet mud.

I currently have 700x35 Rapid Robs on the bike as standard but I feel the bike is really squirmy/skittery on the road, and i don't feel confident at taking corners on it. Off road it's fantastic and i bomb along almost as fast as my MTB. 

I really want to change the tyres to something that would inspire more confidence on road, without sacrificing my ability to go off road, as that is the part I enjoy the most. Whilst I don't expect to be able to hit heavy wet mud for long periods, something that can handle a bit of gravel, light mud and tree roots for 1 - 2 km at a time would be great. 

I've considered changing to Schwalbe CX Pro (700x30) which allegedly are better on road but don't sacrifice offroad, but the thinness of the tyre concerns me for off road. I've also seen various other all round tyres but not sure how they compare. 

Would really appreciate some guidance from all you experienced guys. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• I use Schwalbe G one Allround (35mm). Really good tire, lots of grip on variety of surfaces, I use them on light trails, canal towpaths in both wet and dry with no problems. On the road they don't have much more rolling resistance than a standard road tire IMO. Had a set for over a year now and they don't show much sign of wear after a few thousand KM's so very durable as well.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    edited August 2018
    Schwalbe G one is a good gravel tyre for dry hard surfaces etc but is ok for parks fields etc as long as it’s not too muddy

The other one I found good for road and off road is schwalbe sammy slick . I had these on a caadx and never felt the need to change them to a specific road or cx tyre . They worked well on both . They are cheapish too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    G-One is good, but the wear rate on the road is unacceptable, imo. Something like the Conti CX Speed, Clement xplor USH or MSO might be worth a look...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I use Schwalbe CX Comps 700x35 as my all round commuting/training tyre, they lack a bit of bite in proper sloppy mud but absolutely fine on everything else. Can get a pair for £20. As someone said above if you buy an expensive off road or gravel specific tyre the wear rate on road is horrendous.
  • Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, and you're mentioning the exact tyres I was looking at!

Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the pro's and con's of:

Clement X'Plor MSO 700 x 32
    Schwalbe G One Allround 700 x 35
    Schwalbe X One Allround 700 x 33
    Schwalbe CX Pro 700 x 30
    Schwalbe CX Comp 700 x 30/35

I guess key point is too improve my on road experience and i'm willing to sacrifice a bit of offroad for it. The Clement looks like it might be a good compromise, although more expensive than the Schwalbe CX family.
  • Have a look at Maxxis Re-fuse
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    I have a pair of Conti CX Sport's 700x35 on eBay for £50 if you're interested.
    They didn't fit my Domane.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142903371568
    Always in stealth mode
  • kancell10 wrote:
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, and you're mentioning the exact tyres I was looking at!

Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the pro's and con's of:

Clement X'Plor MSO 700 x 32
    Schwalbe G One Allround 700 x 35
    Schwalbe X One Allround 700 x 33
    Schwalbe CX Pro 700 x 30
    Schwalbe CX Comp 700 x 30/35

I guess key point is too improve my on road experience and i'm willing to sacrifice a bit of offroad for it. The Clement looks like it might be a good compromise, although more expensive than the Schwalbe CX family.

I have been using the X'plor mso tyres in that size on my commuting bike and have had no issues except when i tried to use the bike on a ride along the Ridgeway and the clay/mud combination turned them into heavy slicks. The wear rate is higher than for a dedicated road tyre, for sure, but I like the versitility of being able to turn into a bridle way or cut across some grassy areas without any grip issues.I am also currently running a 35mm Panasonic Gravelking on the rear and that seems to be pretty good too. Both of these tyres usually get good reviews on the retailers' websites and both are often on special too. Obviously YMMV.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    The Panaracer Gravel King got high reviews
  • froze wrote:

Yes, probably much better than any tyres by Panasonic (sorry...)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    froze wrote:
    I've got these on my Cx/winter/commuting bike. 32mm and they seem ok on a number of different surfaces. Albeit not tested in wet conditions yet. They were reasonably cheap also.