Food Heaven, Food Hell

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited October 2018 in The cake stop
I watch Saturday morning kitchen every now and then and they have this feature where a celebrity guest picks their food heaven and hell, their favourite and least favourite food, so I thought I’d ask here...

Heaven:- Salmon, love everything about it, just delicious!!

Hell:- Sweetcorn, the fact that it re-emerges undigested tells me we just shouldn’t be eating it, and it tastes like shite as well!

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Heaven: pears; never had anything with them in that I didn’t love.

Hell: any organ - kidney, liver etc.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Heaven: Just about anything with a burnt cheese topping on it
    Hell: Winkles (balk just saying it)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    heaven: too many list

hell: anchovies

#fuckingdisgustingpiecesofshit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Heaven: Salmon, mmmm, especially quality smoked salmon with cracked black pepper, squirt of fresh lime juice, yeah...

Hell: "McDonalds, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Heaven: peanut butter - the poncy whole nut stuff; any decent cheese; a really good steak; or venison; all between two thick slices of walnut sourdough, with beetroot, maybe a pickle or two, some chard leaves.

Hell: I wouldn't describe anything I can remember eating as hell, even kiwi fruit, which I'm allergic to.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Heaven : Fois gras, rare roast lamb. The flavour of chillis without burning your face off, wagyu steak, fillet of fresh trout

Hell: overcooked vegetables, Brussels sprouts.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Heaven: Really good fish and chips
    Hell: Really bad fish and chips.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Heaven - Comfort food: Fish Pie (must have smoked haddock), Steak & Ale Pie (Shortcrust pastry), Spaghetti Carbonara, Fish n Chips, Camembert on real French bread, Poached eggs on toasted home baked white bread.

Hell - Samphire, Organs, Micky D's, Pizza Hut, Roast Lamb,
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Heaven: pizza. I fuck1ng love pizza.

Hell: poached pears. Sh1te.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    orraloon wrote:
    Heaven: Salmon, mmmm, especially quality smoked salmon with cracked black pepper, squirt of fresh lime juice, yeah...

Hell: "McDonalds, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut"

Hell: KFC - there's a reason it comes in a bucket. I'd say Pizza Hut is mildly less offensive than McSh1ts and KFC; not that I've had any of these for many years (I've gone hungry rather than eat a McDonalds). I could never understand why people paid for extra toppings at Pizza hut - none of the toppings have any flavour at all; you're just adding another layer of plastic.

Also, don't like Pizza restaurants where there are no anchovies available. (Hello MF!).

Heaven includes grilled mackerel, avocados in vinegar/olive oil dressing (and mozzarella and tomatoes in the same) plus grilled lamb, chicken on the bone. Never get the point of chicken breasts - dullest meat ever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,165
    Heaven: bacon
    Hell: donuts
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Heaven:
    ripe tomatoes on bread with olive oil.

Hell:
    any disgusting overpriced junk "meal solution" sold by supermarkets in a plastic container that you are supposed to warm in the microwave and eat sitting on the sofa watching crap celebrity tv saying "I'd love cooking but haven't got time for it".
  • Heaven - Iberico ham

Hell - Pickled onions
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Heaven : fish & chips, Cullen Skink (creamy, smoked fish soup), cheesecake.

Hell : organs, especially kidneys which are essentially just p*ss filters.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Heaven: bacon
    Hell: donuts

Doughnuts please unless you are making specific reference to some hideous American version of the things. I once had a cinnamon doughnut at a classic car show in Malvern. It was fabulous. Later I went back for another and they'd sold out. I've never found one since.

Please be more specific re bacon; it matters. Eg smoked or unsmoked? Dry cure? Rind on? (Why is it that supermarkets think that rindless bacon is something to be proud of? It isn't It's just food that someone has gone to extra trouble to make worse).
  • shirley_basso
    Unsmoked bacon is just ham.

Also what about streaky Vs back?
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Unsmoked bacon is just ham.

Also what about streaky Vs back?

Easy

Streaky

Next question!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Heaven: Huge, Marinated prawns cooked over fire and served with wasabi noodles. Had it once on the Vietnamese Island of Phu Quoc . . . a year later took a hundreds of miles detour from Cambodia just to have it again.

Hell: Cheap sausages
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Why is anyone buying bacon from the supermarket? It's rubbish. It should be smoked back bacon with rind from your local butcher.

I can't decide on my heaven but my hell is definitely the supposed athletes friend the banana. The smell alone makes me want to retch and I wouldn't even want to consider the texture. If anyone begins to peel one I have to move away quickly, hideous things imo.
  • shirley_basso
    But it's not. Even waitrose essentials smoked streaky bacon is absolutely amazing. I once paid a fortune for some super duper butcher bacon and it was disgusting. Keep it simple. Thick cut butcher back bacon is often too tough to bike through and while I LOVE the rind, it's no good for sandwiches as you can cut through it with your teeth.
  • rolf_f
    Why is anyone buying bacon from the supermarket? It's rubbish. It should be smoked back bacon with rind from your local butcher.

Quite.....
    I can't decide on my heaven but my hell is definitely the supposed athletes friend the banana. The smell alone makes me want to retch and I wouldn't even want to consider the texture. If anyone begins to peel one I have to move away quickly, hideous things imo.

So you probably wouldn't like the one in my office cupboard that has been there for a week and now has a black skin and no doubt soggy flesh and which I will eat this afternoon?
    But it's not. Even waitrose essentials smoked streaky bacon is absolutely amazing. I once paid a fortune for some super duper butcher bacon and it was disgusting. Keep it simple. Thick cut butcher back bacon is often too tough to bike through and while I LOVE the rind, it's no good for sandwiches as you can cut through it with your teeth.

The point is that you cut the rind off if you don't want it! Supermarkets don't give you that choice. And "I once paid a fortune" isn't really a fair assessment of the entire local butcher bacon business! The nice thing about the local butcher is that they cut the bacon how you want it (nice and thick); I don't even have to ask.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Why is it that supermarkets think that rindless bacon is something to be proud of? It isn't It's just food that someone has gone to extra trouble to make worse).
    It's in the financial interest of supermarkets to sell rindless bacon as by removing the skin and selling it separately for crackling they get two products out of one.
  • shirley_basso
    Thin, smoked, streaky. Nice and fatty but no rind.

Surely the above could be applied to a butcher too? They are commercial enterprises as well.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Heaven - Cured meats, Actually just meat in general.
    Hell - Seafood
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I'll admit butchers are not perfect, there have been some where I had sausages from that I didn't really care for, The Black Farmer range in the supermarket were much better.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Christ. We can't even live and let live when it comes to favourite and hated foods! :lol:

No wonder the Brexit thread is longer than the Dead Sea scrolls.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jstrang
    jstrang Posts: 25
    Food heaven includes many things: thick vegetable soup, cottage pie, fish and chips, apple crumble, vanilla ice cream
    Food hell: mushrooms
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Christ. We can't even live and let live when it comes to favourite and hated foods! :lol:

No wonder the Brexit thread is longer than the Dead Sea scrolls.

Haha, so true :lol:

Still...

Heaven: Crispy Aromatic Duck / A proper burger in real bun (no brioche-hipster-served on a roof tile shyte)

Hell: Cauliflower Cheese / All seafood (I make a rare exception for fish and chips, and tuna)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Quite right Ben.

Heaven: Gnocchi alla Romana, tiramisu the way my mother makes it.
    Hell: Those ridiculous rice cakes that are like polystyrene.
  • Heaven: cheese and onion crisps

Hell: salt and vinegar crisps
    Ecrasez l’infame