MTB Frame damage advice.

AchtungNate
AchtungNate Posts: 11
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read multiple other threads regarding damage to frames and just wanted some advice regarding mine, or just some anecdotal advice from other with similar issues I suppose.

Bent my front wheel heavily and dented my down tube pretty badly. Both my knees and a thigh are blue and purple from hitting my fork tops and the impact of his bike hitting me.

Bike is a Jamis Dakar, I've had it three weeks. Wheel can be straightened or replaced, frame obviously more of an issue.

IMG_20180823_WA0007_1.jpg

IMG_20180823_WA0003.jpg

IMG_20180823_WA0001.jpg

IMG_20180822_210036.jpg

Visited my local pump track ad technical skills "park" after only two minutes of being there and riding one section I was crashed into by another rider at considerable speed. The section is designed badly and two tracks come together by means of a pretty high speed berm. He had no brakes (wasn't on a single speed, and was listening to music). His reasoning was that he watches his front wheel and does not look ahead, and did not expect me to be there.

Caveating all of the above I'm not blaming him, we were in a place where accidents happen, he's a teenager and can't pay me for anything. Accidents happen.

I've contacted Jamis to find out a cost or to simply see if they can sell me a new front/whole frame, but given I'm in the UK I'm not holding my breath.

Alternatively I'll look for another frame with 120mm front and rear travel. Everything else on the bike is virtually brand new, only been on a few trail runs up at Dalby.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's severely compromised, I wouldnt be using that.

Best bet is to look for a used frame you can swap everything into.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Difficulty will be the shock. Different frames will have different leverage ratios, so might not take the same eye to eye length shock, or travel length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • This is as much as I figured guys, thanks for the replies thus far.

Pretty down about this, I'm paying for this over the next year and only had it three weeks. Had such a blast on it!

People have already said "insure it now and claim in a few weeks" but I'm not that sort of person at all. I'll try and source a second hand/replacement and transplant. Even a factory or seconds frame, possibly a Hardtail (I'm looking at you Orange Clockwork).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Where did you get it from? If they are a Jamis dealer they might be able to help you out - it's similar to a warranty repair/replacement but you're paying for it.
    A dealer might be able to just order you the front triangle, assuming there's no damage to the rear triangle.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Sorry to hear what happened, very frustrating especially if the bike is only 3 weeks old. I definitely wouldn't be riding that frame, so as you said i would suggest moving everything over. Perhaps sell the rear shock and go hardtail.

Good deals to be had on: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Wow - that was a big impact.

Frame is knackered. As others have said, try Jamis for a straight swap frame or look for alternative frames and move everything across. If the rear shock won't fit, sell it. Might need to check your front forks are okay. How `broken` is the front wheel? Might be worth replacing anyway.

I'm quite a reasonable person and I think you have been very calm about it all. I think I'd be livid. "Watching your front wheel and listening to music" is a recipe for disaster in any shared bike space.

I hope you get it sorted as it's so new and you were just starting to enjoy it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:

Frame is knackered. As others have said, try Jamis for a straight swap frame or look for alternative frames and move everything across. If the rear shock won't fit, sell it. Might need to check your front forks are okay. How `broken` is the front wheel? Might be worth replacing anyway.

I'm quite a reasonable person and I think you have been very calm about it all. I think I'd be livid. "Watching your front wheel and listening to music" is a recipe for disaster in any shared bike space.

I was surprisingly calm when it happened, surprised myself really. He was a teenage lad, nothing he can do about it, yes it WAS his fault but there's no taking it back or fixing it. Sh!t happens, I've had worse, knocked out part of my upper jaw in the past after an impact so I'll consider myself lucky.

I had to straighten the front wheel with my hands and a bench... 6 mile ride home to contend with so not much choice. I've seen worse on my road bike which was salvageable so I'll see what the LBS say.

I'm pretty pissed now, but mainly because I'm hurting pretty badly my knees are trashed after impacting the tops of the forks. Adrenaline has a lot to answer for, rode all the way home after all that.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    BillyCool wrote:

I was surprisingly calm when it happened, surprised myself really. He was a teenage lad, nothing he can do about it, yes it WAS his fault but there's no taking it back or fixing it. Sh!t happens, I've had worse, knocked out part of my upper jaw in the past after an impact so I'll consider myself lucky.

I had to straighten the front wheel with my hands and a bench... 6 mile ride home to contend with so not much choice. I've seen worse on my road bike which was salvageable so I'll see what the LBS say.

I'm pretty pissed now, but mainly because I'm hurting pretty badly my knees are trashed after impacting the tops of the forks. Adrenaline has a lot to answer for, rode all the way home after all that.

Dude - I take my hat off to you. I'm quite pragmatic about a lot of things, but I'd still be mad at him. I know what you are saying but I'd still go a bit mental! I assume he was okay?

Sounds like the wheel might live to fight another day. Brusied knees are an awful thing, particulalry if you've bruised the bone. I did mine years ago and couldn't kneel down for 6 months - any pressure on the kneecap was vomit enducing.

Get some knee pads as well. Might help in future?

Let us know how you get on with the bike.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Have you checked with your house insurance? May be covered, also worth looking into the parks liability insurance if the track is as you say, sounds pretty unsafe.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    As others have said, contract the place you bought the bike from and ask if Jamis do a crash replacement policy. I've broke frames before (not Jamis) and got a discount on the replacement, even out of warranty, so its always worth asking.

If not then you could still sell the damaged frame as someone may want it for the rear triangle along with the shock (if the stroke and eye2eye means you can't transfer it over to a new fs frame).

Oh, and hats off to you for handling it all so well!

Good luck and keep us updated ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Knee pads were in my Camelbak, annoyingly. That said they were just light G form ones, given the impact I think it'd have hurt anyway. I've had some pretty big offs in my time when skiing, climbing and cycling but it's a damn sight more frustrating when it's not your own stupid fault XD

House insurance may cover it, it did in my accident when I knocked part of my upper mandible out. But I've just moved in with my partner and she hasn't declared me or the bike yet (it being high value they may get awkward, but I'll see what can be done.

Jamis sadly don't cover this kind of incident as far as I could see from their warranty but we'll see what they say when they respond to my query.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far though guys.

Worst comes to the worst I get a gnarly HT frame and do a quick swap. Worse things have happened!
  • Quick update, Evans are contacting Jamis who offer a 25% off MSRP crash replacement on frames.

Again not holding my breath as this could still cost a fair whack when shipped from the US, but it's something.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Quick update, Evans are contacting Jamis who offer a 25% off MSRP crash replacement on frames.

Again not holding my breath as this could still cost a fair whack when shipped from the US, but it's something.

Still worth keeping your eye open for a Jamis frame or bike on eBay or similar.

• Still worth keeping your eye open for a Jamis frame or bike on eBay or similar.

I'm doing just that, I'll keep an eye on Fleabay and PB if something fairly compatible comes up I'll take it as I bet the Jamis MSRP is going to be a few quid!

EDIT: Any other sources of HT or FS frames that accomodate 27.5" wheels and 120mm travel shocks appreciated! :lol:
  • Sorry to hear about your crash, if you are after a frame only, have you considered an on one frame (Deedar, inbred, 456) always a few on ebay, not silly money and from the reviews i have read they are pretty decent. Not the greatest but fun.

I was very tempted by an one one deedar a little while ago but went for a vitus as it came with a better spec at the time for the money.
  • Sorry to hear about your crash, if you are after a frame only, have you considered an on one frame (Deedar, inbred, 456) always a few on ebay, not silly money and from the reviews i have read they are pretty decent. Not the greatest but fun.

I was very tempted by an one one deedar a little while ago but went for a vitus as it came with a better spec at the time for the money.

Cheers, I'm looking at DeeDar and Cotic BFe275 frames currently! I've had On One finishing kit when on a budget in the past, not great but absolutely performed the task asked of it.
    BillyCool wrote:

Got that one bookmarked already mate thanks, it's a backup option.
  • Well, just as a brief update Evans finally came back to me with a price after they contacted Jamis.

Price for a full frame (they wouldn't offer just the front triangle), including a 25% crash replacement discount is as follows:

£276 for the frame (may take a month PLUS to arrive as ships from NJ USA)

£110 for labour to fit.

They would also require the frame at time of ordering to essentially prove that it's a crash damaged bike. I'd be unlikely to take them up on their offer of £110 to strip and refit the parts to it, but that means I have to provide a stripped frame to them at time of ordering. I don't have a BB wrench and the likes so this would require me buying various tools.

Bit bummed out really, I can't afford to buy the frame right now, it could take a few months to arrive until after ordering. Written off any riding for me until at least 2019 :cry:

Lesson to everybody, insure it if you can't afford to replace it immediately.

Lesson to kids riding pump tracks with no brakes and headphones on - GET SOME F*&KING BRAKES!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    £110 to strip a bike? Jeez :shock:

What BB tool do you need? I'd be happy to loan you a HT2 removal tool if you cover postage.

The rest of the bike should be easy to dissemble with a set of allen keys and a bit of creative bodgery - for example, you can knock the headset cups out with a hammer and socket extension bar (tap around it at 12, 3, 6, 9 positions).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cant you take off everything you can so that £110 to strip it is now more like a tenner to take the BB out ?
  • Yeah £110, bit ridiculous really. Thanks for the offer of tools, much appreciated but I am just going to buy a set of tools, I think ChainReaction or Wiggle do a basic set with BB wrench, cassette tool and the likes for £29.99 might be cheap but it'll do the job and is a damn sight less than £110!

I've stripped bikes before for painting but I've always left the BB in and masked it off so I'm relatively confident about doing it.

Occurred to me why the damage was quite so bad, the lad hit me on an old GT Chucker, Likely a steel frame and nigh on bombproof, no wonder it trashed my ally frame.

Thanks for all the help, advice, comments thus far.
  • Also this hurts:

Evans.jpg

:cry: :? :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the old steel Chuckers were pretty indesctructable, even the later aluminium ones were pretty tough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.