Stem Slamming

bikegangster
bikegangster Posts: 98
edited August 2018 in Workshop
How do I slam the stem? I have the Giant Defy (now called the Contend). I know its an endurance geometry and its not supposed to all out aero but I like getting low and riding upright is dull. I already moved the stem under a bunch of spacers so its the lowest it can get. The stem itself is minus 17 degrees. The original stem is minus 8 degrees. All that is left is the headset and swap it out for a shorter one. I might have to get a mechanic to cut the steerer tube or buy more spacers.

I'm thinking of this. https://www.certifiedslammed.com/produc ... ring-cover The original headset that came with the Defy has this brown or bronze ring when I look at it upside down and I don't know what that is. Is that a seal or something? For sealing the head tube so rain water can't get in and ruin the steerer tube? Will the bearing cover from Certified Slammed will have that same brown/bronze ring or whatever it is?

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I would try it slammed before you cut the steerer stem down, just in case it feels to uncomfortable for you ride long distances
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    sounds like you need a new bike if you can't get low enough. Sell it and buy a TCR instead.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Get a flat headset cap or one of these: http://www.canecreek.com/product/slamset/

Put the stem on that.

Slammed.

Mark the top of the stem

Cut steerer 5mm below the top of the stem - this allows the required pull to preload the headset so you don’t have to put a pointless 5mm spacer above the head cap.

Put everything back together again

Stand back and admire your handiwork

Job jobbed

#slammed
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Get a flat headset cap or one of these: http://www.canecreek.com/product/slamset/

Put the stem on that.

Slammed.

Mark the top of the stem

Cut steerer 5mm below the top of the stem - this allows the required pull to preload the headset so you don’t have to put a pointless 5mm spacer above the head cap.

Smash cut-off section of steerer with a hammer, set it on fire with fire and then throw over the fence into next door neighbour's garden

Job jobbed

#slammed

FIFY ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Svetty wrote:

Put the stem on that.

Slammed.

Mark the top of the stem

Smash cut-off section of steerer with a hammer, set it on fire with fire and then throw over the fence into next door neighbour's garden

Job jobbed

#slammed

FIFY ;)

:D 8)

# :D

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Riding endurance/sportive bikes does not have to be boring, change where you ride, find some hills that hit above ~8% where aero drag count for less and it's more about W/Kg.

Your post comes across as either you bought completely the wrong bike for your requirements, or you had a physical weakness like a weak lower back that has regained some strength.

My 58cm Cube has a stack of 610mm and I rode it 35mm of spacers under the -6 degrees stem for most of the first year, but my weak back has definitely got so much happier since May 2017. Every now and again I play with the amount of spacers above and below the stem, currently 15mm below, which feels fine but I've noticed I have been using the drops less.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo