Buy the best heart rate monitor

Lossame
Lossame Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Health, fitness & training
I need a guide to buying thevbest heart rate that will give me the best experience of my BPM training. Any one out there to help?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A basic polar will give you your reading. Big display. Mount it on your bars and you can work to it.

If you want to take it more complicated then you can get HRM with GPS etc and they're big bucks.

All depends what you want to do with it and where.

DCRainmaker site is the best for technical info. GO see him.
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    if you are serious about a decent HR monitor don't rely on wrist monitor (for example see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_YARkqyvw). Get a heart rate strap. Lots on the market around £20-£50. Ant+ versions eg garmin / cycleops work with lots of head units.
  • Friend of mine owns this site -

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/

Mostly deal in Polar now but have review (very in depth) on loads of HRM's

I'm currently testing their Polar M400 for running and cycling and am impressed so far, ill be doing a write up soon with final verdict. Here is his review of it -
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar-m400-review/

* Agree with the above having also tested the fitbit and the A360 on the wrist HR is NOT reliable for accurate zone training and should be used only for recreational tracking IMO - My test included intervals where the lag on the wrist read HR was about 30s up and down. Nothing beats a strap for accurate HR
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    DCRainmaker is not to judgemental about wrist based optical hrm. He tends to just look at the figures and comments based on evidence.

Last time I looked, 6 months ago now, he rated valencell and mio optical sensors. He also kind of said it's the whole package that devices whether it works. As I said it was a while since I checked into his excellent site but back then the Scocche rhythm wrist based hrm was highly regarded. Good for active hr monitoring unlike some optical units.

There are good and bad units but it's harder to get it right then chest straps monitors. However chest straps aren't to everyone's liking. It's perfectly possible to get a good wrist based monitor up for most active people.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    BTW I got a Fitbit surge for the activity tracking side. It's still good for basic hr monitoring. I.never noticed any spikes or lost signals when cycling.

Not a good unit for training zones, not got that function, but ok for just seeing your bpm.

Just wish the strap didn't cause a reaction on my skin that made it look like I'd scalded myself complete with dried and later flaking skin where the strap was in.contract.

I knew earlier Fitbit units caused this and got taken off the market but it was supposed to be sorted. Mind you, should have realised when instructions talk about not wearing it 24/7 (that was what the marketing blurb says it's for, 24/7 monitoring), washing your wrist and washing the strap frequently after exercise plus drying it after use.

P.S. not suitable.for training zones.or serious use. I'd personally get a wrist watch style but with chest strap. Polar use Bluetooth so could use one of their watches but replace the chest strap with the Scocche wrist optical unit that's rated highly.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I use a far eastern budget HRM - CooSpo I think - from Amazon. £20 bluetooth and ANT, comfortable chest strap, replaceable battery. It just works and pairs well with my Garmin watch, or a phone running strava.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • DCRainmaker is not to judgemental about wrist based optical hrm. He tends to just look at the figures and comments based on evidence.

Last time I looked, 6 months ago now, he rated valencell and mio optical sensors. He also kind of said it's the whole package that devices whether it works. As I said it was a while since I checked into his excellent site but back then the Scocche rhythm wrist based hrm was highly regarded. Good for active hr monitoring unlike some optical units.

There are good and bad units but it's harder to get it right then chest straps monitors. However chest straps aren't to everyone's liking. It's perfectly possible to get a good wrist based monitor up for most active people.

Yeah, the Scocche rhythm+ is even better than a heart rate strap. With that and a Garmin Fenix 3 , you're pretty much sorted. I've had a few fitness devices, and the Fenix 3 is far superior. I'd get a swimming heart rate strap as well, as the Scocche rhythm+ is only waterproof to one metre.
  • I used my Fitbit blaze, it seems to work pretty well for heart rate monitoring.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I use a Polar H7 chest monitor.

It talks to Polar watches and gym equipment. I like the fact it has Bluetooth so I can connect it to my phone for use with Emdomondo/Strava etc.

Cost about £60 and I've had mine about 5 years. Replaceable battery as well.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Any chest strap based heart rate monitor these days will give you excellent results. Polar, Garmin, Wahoo all do them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I suspect the OP has bought an HRM since enquiring 2 years ago!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009