Surely this is just wrong?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited August 2018 in Road general
OK, I've never read those rules about what you should and shouldn't do when cycling. I did have a minor wobble recently about whether my shorts were too short but otherwise people should just get out and enjoy it.

This though is surely wrong. It's an R5. What next, pannier racks with P-clips?

Just because they're Rapha doesn't make it right.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/5120/ ... i-day-ride

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    This means nothing to me... please explain so I can express my faux-outrage in the right direction.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited August 2018
    ...part of it is fighting against the "you can't do that without buying an XXXbike" attitude which can pervade cycling. I ve no issue with that

(and only the bags are rapha (cough, apidura with stripes), the article is in Cyclist)

My honest problem with the image, as someone who has done a bit of bikepacking, is that you'd never fit "cheap" camping gear in that setup. Suggesting that you need to buy a down bag, superlight bivi, minescule stove etc somewhat undoes my previous point about the bike to be honest...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Does look a bit daft but who cares?
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    This means nothing to me... please explain so I can express my faux-outrage in the right direction.

It's a £3.5k uber light frame. Costs twice the price of an R3 to save 4g or something similar. Pretty much the same as towing a caravan with a Ferrari.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    "SRAM Force 1x group; it’s simple and easy to maintain and with a good gear ratio (50x32/4) can cover most climbs"

Not all of us can climb like Nairo Quintana, especially when cycle touring...

To answer the original post, it appears that companies have decided that to make cycle touring "cool" it means that it should be as close to road cycling as possible even if there are far more practical and affordable ways of doing things already out there.
  • Live and let live...or go to yer local cycle forum and moan.
  • Bike packing is fun. Stuff what anybody else thinks about it. If you cycle to keep fit and go and see things and do stuff bike packing makes it less of a chore. I can’t see the sense in riding around trying to go quicker than ( insert random stranger ) and really don’t get where the enjoyment is gained from that. However each to their own. It just makes me giggle when ( particularly Lycra clad roadie types it seems ) sneer at anyone is isn’t chasing K.O.M / Q.O.Ms or whatever riding a Pinarello and wearing Rapha / FPWK. Is this Golf or cycling. I think the boundaries have blurred a bit especially since about 2008 particularly in this country.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    @ MM/BG: You were doing so well......until you sneered at another social grouping :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Bike packing is fun. Stuff what anybody else thinks about it. If you cycle to keep fit and go and see things and do stuff bike packing makes it less of a chore. I can’t see the sense in riding around trying to go quicker than ( insert random stranger ) and really don’t get where the enjoyment is gained from that. However each to their own. It just makes me giggle when ( particularly Lycra clad roadie types it seems ) sneer at anyone is isn’t chasing K.O.M / Q.O.Ms or whatever riding a Pinarello and wearing Rapha / FPWK. Is this Golf or cycling. I think the boundaries have blurred a bit especially since about 2008 particularly in this country.

New name but still spouting the same old crap. We've all seen pictures of you in lycra Nick. Does that make you a 'lycra clad roadie type' whatever that even means.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    CitizenLee wrote:

It's a £3.5k uber light frame. Costs twice the price of an R3 to save 4g or something similar. Pretty much the same as towing a caravan with a Ferrari.

Haha, thanks ;)

Still struggling to muster up any kind of annoyance though. A light bike seems a good starting point if you're going to pack more weight onto it, or if it's your only bike. I've been commuting on my Mega lately whilst I await a C2W voucher, which is akin to driving a bulldozer around a F1 track... but I still get there :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Those bags don't look aero to me.
  • What's needed is a conclusive BiekRaadar thread on what is and isn't acceptable in cycling nowadays
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    What's needed is a conclusive BiekRaadar thread on what is and isn't acceptable in cycling nowadays
    Everything is acceptable. The guy who buys it is free to ride it, or wear it. Whatever "it" is.
    Those who say otherwise are knobs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I did LEJOG with a similar setup on my Focus Izalco, I was generally staying at youth hostels so didn't need to carry much. If your going to go on a multiday trip why wouldn't you use the best/lightest bike you have?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297

True, it's much less extravagant to buy another bike for your road bike touring and leave the R5 at home that weekend.
  • Perhaps he just likes his best bike, it fits him and he can do long distances on it. I use a trek madone sLR disc for commuting because I love the feel of the bike.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I just did an unsupported three-week bike-packing tour of the Italian Alps and Dolomites (Stelvio, Tonale, Gavia, Fugazze, Grappa, Pordoi, Giau, Falzarego, Tre Croci, etc) on this. 15kg all-up weight, normal compact gearing (50/34 x12/29), huge amount of fun. It may be "wrong" for some people, but it enabled me to ride 650 miles and climb 78,000ft in three weeks. I'm quite happy with "wrong".
    Spin+Tourer+2.jpg
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    tomisitt wrote:
    I just did an unsupported three-week bike-packing tour of the Italian Alps and Dolomites (Stelvio, Tonale, Gavia, Fugazze, Grappa, Pordoi, Giau, Falzarego, Tre Croci, etc) on this. 15kg all-up weight, normal compact gearing (50/34 x12/29), huge amount of fun. It may be "wrong" for some people, but it enabled me to ride 650 miles and climb 78,000ft in three weeks. I'm quite happy with "wrong".
    Spin+Tourer+2.jpg

Sounds awesome, 3 weeks with that little stuff is insane! What was your pack list? I am very tempted by a trip like this.
  • tomisitt
    Hi Joey — packing list (in addition to stuff I was wearing to ride — short-sleeved base-layer, SS jersey, bib-shorts, gloves, socks and riding shoes) was basically:

On the bike: two drinks bidons, Garmin and lights. As I was likely to do a fair amount of exploring on foot I put some touring/mtb pedals on the bike and bought some mtb shoes rather than the normal road shoes.

Saddlebag: 1 set of civvies (T-shirt, trews, pants, socks, trainers), spare bib shorts, LS jersey, gilet, arm/leg warmers), warm socks, warm gloves.

Bar bag: waterproof jacket, spares (inner tubes, CO2 cannisters, pump, tools, and spare spokes), carb and protein bars, chargers, plug and adaptor, chammy cream, toileteries.

Small (15L) Kriega backpack with passport, phone, wallet, medical kit, glasses, Kindle, lunch and small bottle of water.

There wasn't anything I didn't use (except the spares), and there wasn't anything I wished I had added to the list. If you don't mind hand-washing stuff on a daily basis, this is a great way to go "touring".
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Whatever way you look at it, it's a bike with a couple of bags hanging off it. So what if it's a Cervelo, Pinarello, Cernarello or Pinavelo? By the time you take a 6.8Kg bike and add luggage and a 75Kg tub of lard, I doubt you would notice the difference than if you started with a 8.8Kg bike. The only person who this should ever concern is the one riding it and if they ain't concerned why should you be.

Tom, Well done - sounds like an excellent trip. Where are the pics for 'Show Us Your Scenic Bike Pics'?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pblakeney
    joey54321 wrote:
    Sounds awesome, 3 weeks with that little stuff is insane! What was your pack list? I am very tempted by a trip like this.
    25 years ago I toured the SW of England on my race bike using only a small backpack and 1 water bottle. It helped that I stayed in B&Bs and stopped at pubs but anything is achievable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sorry, are those rim brakes?
  • tomisitt
    Tom, Well done - sounds like an excellent trip. Where are the pics for 'Show Us Your Scenic Bike Pics'?

Will this do?

IMG_E7790.jpg
  • pblakeney
    tomisitt wrote:

Will this do?

IMG_E7790.jpg
    And there we have the answer to the "Why would you?" questions.
    The bags are removable. Nice, by the way.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver wrote:
    My honest problem with the image, as someone who has done a bit of bikepacking, is that you'd never fit "cheap" camping gear in that setup. Suggesting that you need to buy a down bag, superlight bivi, minescule stove etc somewhat undoes my previous point about the bike to be honest...

My minuscule, superlight stove cost me £3.70. Though I actually spent nearer to £8 as I bought a spare.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Sounds Epic Tom. Highly jealous, but unfotunately don't have time to do something like this just now.

As for the R5 with the bike packing bags, I see absolutely no issue?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:

My minuscule, superlight stove cost me £3.70. Though I actually spent nearer to £8 as I bought a spare.

Ok, Now try buying a sleeping bag, mat, bivy bag/tent of sufficient quality (ie size)....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver