Bottom bracket replacement - advice needed

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently have a Truvativ GXP bottom bracket on my bike. Drive side bearing is knackered so needs replacing. Looking at reviews of the SRAM team GXP bottom bracket and they don't seem too good. Any advice on a suitable replacement? Have looked at some Shimano ones but not sure if they are compatible. My BB shell is 73mm.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I had GXP on my HT and changed to Shimano. Shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod135826
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • trevorh
    trevorh Posts: 87
    Will I need a different BB tool?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, but the bb cup itself may have an adaptor to fit.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Shimano BB is compatible with gxp chainset but the gxp non drive side needs adapter as it is 2mm smaller in diameter. I have successfully used a 1mm strip of aluminium to take up the gap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How did you stabilise the cranks left and right? The adaptors wedge onto the crank axle so they trap the NDS bearing and prevent lateral movement in the same way they do when using the correct GXP bearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Nothing, the adapter is a top hat shaped piece of plastic that reduces the hole size in the bearing, there is the wavy washer that prevents excessive preload.

The Al strip is the top hat but without the hat rim.