Creaking Part 2

jimmysplash
jimmysplash Posts: 30
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I cleaned the seat post, cleaned inside the seat post, cleaned inside the frame where the seat post sits, cleaned the seat post clamp, cleaned the saddle bracket, cleaned the saddle, cleaned the pedals, cleaned the cranks, cleaned the axle...and there is still the creak.
The bottom bracket isn't loose and i can't feel any grinding. The creak only seems to be audible when i'm applying torque and going up hills. Or starting off from still.
Might just get a bottom bracket

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it there out the saddle as well as in?

I had a creak that was the saddle rails into the saddle base, some loctite bearing lock drizzled in cured that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Also check your chainring fastenings,I have had it a couple of times before,both with 4 bolt mount and a direct mount,and I had checked lots of stuff before i found it
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Did you apply grease/grip paste when reassembling?
    A light smear of copper slip on the saddle clamp surfaces where they grip the saddle rails and carbon gripper paste on the seat post can work wonders for creaks.
    Make sure everything is tightened to the correct torque as well.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds terminal. New bike time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have degreased the saddle rails.
    I have greased the threads on everything.
    I have not checked the chain.
    I am not going to buy a new bike.
    :D
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Maybe its your ar se.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Cracked frame? :(
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Headset greased?,they can creak like mad as well if dry
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Headset greased?,they can creak like mad as well if dry

I thought I had a creak coming from the saddle at one point, took me a while to realise it was actually the headset. Bit of maintenance and checking torque sorted it.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • I have taken the headset off, cleaned it and reassmebled it.
    Will test tomorrow
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    As I said in "Creaking: Episode One", you have Press Fit BB which are known to creak. Just because it's clean, greased and the bearings spin nicely, doesn't rule it out. The problem is usually down to manufacturing tolerances with the frames and the BB sleeves. I bet you 4 whole internets that's the source of your creak ;)

If you want it to stop look up and buy a Wheels MFG, Token Ninja, Praxis or Hope Press Fit to suit your PF89.5 BB type then get a bike shop to fit it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I hear you CitizenLee.
    I'm just trying everyones suggestions of what else the problem might be first.
    I have resigned myself to acknowledging that the problem is the BB and the creak is very much in sync with me pedalling.
    I got a quptemformone the other day.
    Does anyone have experience with ceramic BBs? My local shop was trying to get me to buy one.
    I have a XC nike and i hardly ever go thrashing it around bumpy technical trails so my style of riding is pretty sedate
  • cooldad
    Don't waste your money on ceramic BBs. That's just the shop selling expensive stuff.
    Ceramic bearings are good for really high speed stuff, like 20,000 rpm. I doubt your wheels move that quickly.

Maybe you should get your knees checked out, might just be old age.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Definitely my knees

Right...took the headset off....meaning i undid the screw, then took the cap out, took 3 rings or spacers off and thats it. Cleaned everything. Greased the thread of the first screw. Thats all i did. Nothing else. Put everything back.
    Now ive got play in the forks. Hold the front brake and it almost feels the wheel is loose. Is it safe to ride? On roads not trails etc
    Ive read another post similar but didnt undestand the reply.
    Why would something this happen? The most mechanical thing i did was unscrew.
    Though I did pick the bike up and carried it from front room to garden at one point.
  • cooldad
    Read Parktools link below and start again.

Did you pretension the headset before doing up the pinch bolts?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I havent a clue what that means nor do i know how to do it!
  • cooldad
    That's your problem then.

Go to the Parktools link and learn.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It’ll be the Press Fit bottom bracket....common issue, even new ones can creak
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I havent a clue what that means nor do i know how to do it!
    Well it’s how you put everything back together after doing any work on the headset, if you haven’t done it properly it’s bound to give problems.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Yes i have learnt my lesson
    Trial and error
  • cooldad
    That Parktools site is really useful. The info is correct, and kept updated with new developments.

You can use cheaper tools....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools