Epic bleed kit etc

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Brakes have not had fluid cycled through for about 3 years, and are feeling spongy. I know there is a mantra that bleeding brakes often introduces more problems than it solves if not done properly, so thought I would ask here to get it done "properly".

The current bleed kit from Epic contains two syringes, plus the oil, tubing and block. The online videos (and Epic's website!) all seem to use the funnel at the lever end, but I'm presuming the syringe in the lever is effectively doing the same job.

These instructions on the Epic site match the packaging https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog ... no-brakes/ and broadly this MBR video seems to match the process fairly closely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ik0AZVv6TY though it uses the funnel and substitutes a plastic bottle for the plastic bag solution that Epic suggest.

Any additional guidance I might need?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Epic have videos on their site on how to bleed.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I bled my Shimano brakes much the same way last week.

You basically need:

Some sort of reservoir on the brake lever end (funnel or syringe) and a syringe on the caliper end to push fluid through. That's the most basic bleed and all I ever do.

There are other videos/guides that show a more comprehensive bleed by pulling the brake levers etc. Not sure if that is really necessary.

The Epic instructions are relevant to using their kit. I have the Shimano funnel and Epic syringes.

Just remember to use mineral oil.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • larkim
    Epic have videos on their site on how to bleed.
    Not for Shimano brakes using the two syringe kit, bizarrely! Unless I've seriously missed something.
  • larkim
    Realised we didn't have a 7mm spanner so just did the lever top up tonight. Plenty of air bubbles!