Freelikethewind
Freelikethewind Posts: 37
edited November 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Anyone get sores down below?
I've actually stopped cycling because of it :(

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    British Cycling eradicated saddle sores in the women's team and won a sackful of Olympic medals as a consequence (so this article would have you believe).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • It doesn't seem to be talked about. Do all those women clocking up the miles on Strava just not get them? Or do they just put up with them?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    When Mrs Totale did LEJOG she did the same thing us guys do, buy some quality bib shorts, find a saddle that agrees with your bottom and use chamois cream.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Are you getting sores or is it your labia getting sore? It all comes down to pressure/saddle and position. My wife suffered for years doing long rides and thought it was normal. As usual throwing money at the situation worked. It came down to going to Cyclefit in London and getting a saddle mapping. High quality shorts also helped (Assos or Rapha)
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    As the others have said, high quality shorts and chamois cream are key. Also, make sure you're not wearing pants underneath your shorts.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Jayme wrote:
    As the others have said, high quality shorts and chamois cream are key. Also, make sure you're not wearing pants underneath your shorts.

Angle of saddle or pressure in a certain area can also contribute
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The right saddle, the correct angle, the right shorts (&padding) and the right bike setup ...

plus

... a bit of "wearing in" getting your body used to it... some are lucky enough to get there fairly quickly, others take longer. Eitherway, saddle sores or just discomfort down there are telling you that it's not the right setup for you.

(just as a really basic one - you don't wear anything under your padded shorts do you ... you don't need to answer here - we don't need to know)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I don't suffer from saddle sore. However, my knees, my back, my shoulders, my neck... that's a different matter. :roll:

Keep trying. Don't give up. It takes time and a bit of experimenting to get the right saddle/short combo. Find a LBS with a bike fit facility, it's worth it or a bit of DIY just to get the basic angles and set up right.
    The saddle sore is usually a symptom of a problem.

https://wattbike.com/gb/bike-fit
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    If you can try and pinpoint where you are sore/getting sores you should be able to work out whether its
    -shorts etc rubbing
    -saddle position/style/size
    -bum needs hardening up
    I find I need a saddle that goes slim pretty quickly, the more tapering ones kill me. Bought one that I thought would be OK bearing in mind where sores were and comparing saddle shape to old one and pretty much sorted.
    Dont let it put you off, you will get it sorted if you stick at it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Some Selle Italia outlets do a body fit where they measure the distance between your 'sit bones'.

You may find an outlet near you:

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/idmatch/
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    I reckon there are 2 main types of "sore"

1. abrasion/ pressure - where you get rubbed/chafed especially on a long ride

2. a mini local infection - either from previous abrasion, or more commonly for me associated with a spot/ infected hair follicle like a mini boil (nice!)

For (1) Good fitting shorts, right saddle, right position on the bike (eg reach - how far you reach forward can rock you off your sit bones and on to your "bits") can have a big impact. I don't normally use chamois cream - but consider it for multiple days long riding, and if you have to ride with a wet arse (which can make 1 and 2 more likely). Often this will be short lived - and go away quickly

For (2) there is a bit more element of chance - you can reduce the risks by getting changed out of your shorts as soon as you finish (especially if wet), shower with gentle wash etc, wear nice cotton pants after

if you are struck down - you can stick a bit of savlon on and try soaking in a hot bath (to bring it to a "head") - though I have read some people consider long soaks in baths in general could increase likelihood of getting a sore (I also think there is an element of hormones in when i might be more likely to get a spot like sore). You don't want to hot wash your expensive lycra shorts - but consider a sports wash to kill of bacteria.
  • SarahS
    SarahS Posts: 15
    OMG i have this issue, I bought some chamois cream and lowered the pressure in my tyres and it seemed to make a big difference this weekend.

I was so close to giving up and going back to mountain biking where it never was a problem.