Best Budget Light Road Bike

sobeitjedi
sobeitjedi Posts: 36
edited August 2018 in Road general
Hi.

I've recently purchased a Cannondale Synapse Disc Tiagra 2018 bike. Although the bike has been well rated and reviewed everywhere it seems, I am unhappy with it. Feels heavy and not as fast as other bikes I've owned (my previous bike was a £799 B'TWIN ULTRA 900 AF ROAD BIKE - 105, I've also had bikes from Boardman & Pinnacle). Didn't think I'd be disappointed going to a brand like Cannondale, but I am. Cycling has become a chore on this model!

I'm thinking of selling the Cannondale and buying another, lighter bike. Ideally I'd like the sale of the Cannondale to fund the new bike. So far, I've looked at:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... c-7-0.html
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/allez ... 805-133817
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... 5cm-frames

Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions of best places to sell my existing Cannondale and for what price? It was £999 and I've put £250 extra on wheel upgrades on it (Mavic Aksium set).

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    To start off with you are not looking at like for like bikes, the Synapse is an endurance geometry bike wheres as the Ultra 900 AF is more race orientated so I'd imagine that had quite an effect.

I'd start out by considering what you want out of a bike and then draw up a list from there.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    caad is what you want.

500 - 700 for current bike. aksiums won't add much to the value as they are bottom of the range.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    you can't blame cannondale for this - they make a billoon different models and you bought tge wrong one.

trying to do whatever you were trying to do with the aksiums also failed as they weigh a billion tonnes.

the only person you can blame for this sad state of affairs is yourself.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Are you actually much slower?
    A more upright position which an endurance bike provides can sometimes feel slower but actually isn't much slower then a more racy position that the Ultra 900 AF provides.
    You could also remove a couple of spacers to have a more aggressive position.

Also I doubt the Aksiums are much lighter than the stock wheels the bike came with.

I'd stick with the bike as your wallet will take a figurative kicking if you sell the thing.
  • Thanks for the replies so far - I know I only have myself to blame!

The wheel upgrades were on offer when the bike was purchased from my local retailer.

I cycle about 8 miles a day on roads, but not sure how much longer I can cope on the Cannondale.

What I want from a bike? Light, black, internal cable routing, tiagra or 105 set ideally.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Thanks for the replies so far - I know I only have myself to blame!

The wheel upgrades were on offer when the bike was purchased from my local retailer.

I cycle about 8 miles a day on roads, but not sure how much longer I can cope on the Cannondale.

What I want from a bike? Light, black, internal cable routing, tiagra or 105 set ideally.

Is this just to commute on? If so, just stick with what you have.
  • Yes, just for commuting mainly - but I think I'd rather walk than continue to use this.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Sobeitjedi wrote:

How much longer could anyone cope under such trying circumstances?

Seriously though - have a look at the position. Synapse is high up, you had a racier geometry before. See about slamming the stem first before setting hundreds of pounds on fire.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Thanks for the replies so far - I know I only have myself to blame!

what makes it so awful? "feels heavy and not as fast" really doesn't help people.

#purgatory

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Hard to describe how low my opinion is of this bike. It feels weighty to ride, like cycling through treacle. I don't find it particularly comfortable, so I agree, the geometry could be a factor. I got measured for a 54 frame, but it feels compact. My knees ache, even though I have the saddle at the right height.

The chain makes a noise when I really push down on the pedals.

It's making cycling a chore for me, and I want to (and used to) enjoy it.
  • The Synapse Disc Tiagra 2018 is ~10.56Kg as supplied, according to one review I've just read. If I've read correctly, Mavic Aksium Disc wheels are ~2.05Kg, before you look at the weight and "quality" of the tubes and tyres you are using.

Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels, latex tubes and 700x28mm GP4000 S2s removed ~600g from my Cube (from Fulcrum Racing 77DBs, butyl tubes, 700x28 Grand Sport Race), when I'm not carrying silly amounts of water now the heatwave seems to have gone, it especially feels so good on the climbs.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joe_totale-2
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Yes, just for commuting mainly - but I think I'd rather walk than continue to use this.

Surely no bike is that bad, especially if it's only for a relatively short commute.

Just curious, why did you replace the BTwin for the Cannondale?
  • Btwin was stolen
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Check the wheels are spinning freely. Check the chain isn't rubbing. Check the tyres are properly inflated.

I'm really struggling to imagine how any bike could feel that awful. 8 miles is nothing anyway - you could run it. :-)
  • Wheels spin freely, tyres are inflated, can't see the chain rubbing.

It might just feel awful to me, compared to my previous bikes. I've really given up on it though and can't wait to get rid of it.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Assuming you don't live or work on top of a 3 mile long hill, the weight 'difference' will be barely noticeable. That is not why you don't like the bike. It is most likely because it doesn't fit or hasn't been set up for you properly. Or you've put on 3 stone since you rode the old bike and haven't noticed.

As for selling it, second hand bikes won't hold their value that well. Just based on pulling figures out of the air I think you should be extremely happy to get £750 for it assuming it is still in as new condition. No one will care about the wheel 'upgrade' at that price point on a second hand bike so you can kiss that £250 goodbye IMO.
  • I'd take £750
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Feels heavy and draggy ... well - Askium wheels aren't the best by any means - but I doubt they're the cause - (I ride Fulcrum equivalents) but have you looked at the tyres? What have you got on there atm? Getting some reasonable tyres was a huge revelation on my road bike. Before I'd stuck with the supplied stock tyres - changing them to Conti 4 season was a huge difference.
  • I did have the stock 28 tyres that came with the bike. Have just changed them to 25's continental gator hardshell, as I commute on some roads where punctures are easy to come by.

The new tyres have made an improvement, but to be honest, my love for the bike has gone and is beyond repair!
  • craigus89
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    I did have the stock 28 tyres that came with the bike. Have just changed them to 25's continental gator hardshell, as I commute on some roads where punctures are easy to come by.

The new tyres have made an improvement, but to be honest, my love for the bike has gone and is beyond repair!

Gator hardshells, urgh.
  • joe_totale-2
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    I did have the stock 28 tyres that came with the bike. Have just changed them to 25's continental gator hardshell, as I commute on some roads where punctures are easy to come by.

Gator hardshells, urgh.

That explains everything, they can sap the fun from any bike.
  • craigus89
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Sobeitjedi wrote:

Gator hardshells, urgh.

They're puncture resistant, but so are wooden carriage wheels. I know which I would rather ride on.

Bin them. Now.
  • Matthewfalle
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Sobeitjedi wrote:

Gator hardshells, urgh.

They're puncture resistant, but so are wooden carriage wheels. I know which I would rather ride on.

Bin them. Now.

yup - bloody horrible things.

years ago before he knew any different, mf rode on Michelin Pro Race and really liked them. pethaps give them (or similar) a go and see how the bike feels

#lighterfasterbetter

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Have just changed them to 25's continental gator hardshell,
    and there we have it .... ;)

put some proper tyres on it ...
  • Never ridden Gators of any description, but they have an awful reputation!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I imagine it's got an alloy steerer on carbon legs?

That wheel and tyre combo is about as robust as it gets for riding on shite British commuter roads. Unfortunately you cant have the best of both worlds.

To give that bike a fighting chance you probably want to be looking at a tubeless set up on the Hunts as suggested and if you fancy chucking some more money at it, upgrade to a full carbon fork. Or keep it as a winter / commuter bike and built something exciting and light up over the winter.

Before you do anything though, buy some decent tyres and just see the difference that makes.
  • Matthewfalle
    I imagine it's got an alloy steerer on carbon legs?

That wheel and tyre combo is about as robust as it gets for riding on shite British commuter roads. Unfortunately you cant have the best of both worlds.

To give that bike a fighting chance you probably want to be looking at a tubeless set up on the Hunts as suggested and if you fancy chucking some more money at it, upgrade to a full carbon fork. Or keep it as a winter / commuter bike and built something exciting and light up over the winter.

Before you do anything though, buy some decent tyres and just see the difference that makes.

hunts arr overpriced - you get as good/better for far less.

no need for tubeless.

#don'tbeasheep

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I imagine it's got an alloy steerer on carbon legs?

only differencechange of fork will make is save a couple of hundred grammes.

#othrrstufftodo

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I imagine it's got an alloy steerer on carbon legs?

hunts arr overpriced - you get as good/better for far less.

no need for tubeless.

#don'tbeasheep

Offering up any examples?
  • Matthewfalle
    of what? over priced Hunt wheel opinions?

yes - do a quick search on here - lots of people have stated this.

you didn't believe the hype and buy some did you?

oh

#atleasttheyaretrendy

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.