Strava live segments - observations - can you change the displayed fields?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
Greetings,

only recently took out the permium strava membership, and was surprised to see some segment info come up, as in I just wasn't expecting it, but it worked a treat, and I knocked some 40 odd seconds off my previous best up a 6ish minute climb.

However, it randomly gave me the time of someone that I follow on Strava, and no my own or the KOM - I have now set a target, would it display that instead now?

Additionally, and perhaps least usefully, I was unable to see any cadence, power or hr data, which I do find useful up a climb.
Is there anyway you can still see some useful data fields, or is it simply not possible?

For example, I carry out a hill climb later in the year, and will be aiming for around a 5:30 ascent time, but know what power and cadence I am hoping to achieve, so will I need to unstar it so I can see the data figures I want to?

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    This may rather depend on what device you are viewing the live Strava segments.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • daniel_b
    figbat wrote:
    This may rather depend on what device you are viewing the live Strava segments.

Fair play - apologies should have mentioned, it's a Garmin 1000.

IIRC correctly, it stated which time I was being compared against, and whether I was plus or minus and by how much, and then perhaps distance until the start, and once started, distance until the segment finished.
    Pretty sure that was it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    its showing you the time of your nearest strava friend quicker than you. You can press on the top of the screen and scroll to your best time and the segment kom. it will then recalculate to that time.

I never found a way to change the data displayed on that screen but all your normal screens are available, just swipe through as you normally would
  • This gets my goat on the Lezyne Super GPS too, "live segments" simply shows me my current segment time; my PB; my distance to end of segment in miles (then a countdown in feet from 1000).

I simply don't understand why Strava (or someone else in the design chain) is preventing us from also being able to see power; cadence; heart rate etc.

It's not as if my Lezyne cannot show that many fields on a display page, it has been able to show up to 8 fields since a firmware update last summer!

I've largely given up on "live segments" for climbing cat3/4 hills now, which is where I do most of my relatively hard efforts, so I can see my 3s power. I use the menu button to change to other pages.

I've not used it in ages and there are some suggestions that the Strava API change earlier this year has messed it up, but the £3 Ghostracer Pro app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_GB was great for my PB chasing last year.
    Pro allows you to pick unlimited segments and then pick either one of your previous times, or the best time of someone else on the all-time leaderboard. It will then display how you are doing compared to your virtual rival and give audio feedback according to configuration.
    It can definitively do HRM and cadence sensors, but I've not looked to see if it can pair with power meters.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Phil485 wrote:
    its showing you the time of your nearest strava friend quicker than you. You can press on the top of the screen and scroll to your best time and the segment kom. it will then recalculate to that time.

I never found a way to change the data displayed on that screen but all your normal screens are available, just swipe through as you normally would

You can change the fields displayed at the bottom of the screen on the 820, I'm sure the same would go for the 1000. I have it set to 3s Power and time ahead/behind.

I'm not sure if you can change the PR/friend value you are comparing to other than pressing the scroll arrows at the top.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    On my 520 I have live segments.

The order displayed for the time can be changed.
    Mine goes personal goal (if set), then top friend. If you are top friend it will show your PB) I turned off the show KOM.
    There are two data fields that can be changed too. I've got time ahead and speed (need to change that to Distance remaining or something)
  • daniel_b
    Thanks chaps, not just me then.

A google turned up this post from the Strava forums from a couple of months back:
    they actually added the ability to do this in a firmware update a few months ago. You can't change the actual segment screen, but you can add the important information of Distance to go, and Time Ahead to a regular screen. I added a separate screen for segments with just that data and power so it's all large and easy to see. Super helpful.

So I have looked on my 1000, and yes indeed there is a 'Time Ahead' field, so I have created a data page with 6 fields, and added in there:

Time ahead
    Pwr 30 seconds
    Lap Pwr
    Heart rate
    Lap HR
    Distance ahead

Despite what it says in the qoute about there being a 'Distance to go' option, I do not seem to have it.
    I've gambled on the LAP options to see if they will work, but I am unsure.
    When I carry out a hillclimb of several minutes, I know what power I want to attempt to average across the whole thing, so although 30s power is useful, I don't want to be checking it too frequently, which is why I want the lap option to work.
    Will update as and when I get to test it, will likely be a good few weeks alas.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18