Holdsworth competition 1980s? any inf

camperjohn
camperjohn Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
hi, a couple of years ago I bought an old Holdsworth competition bike and can find no mention of the model anywhere , does anyone have any info or photo as I would like to see what it was originally like. It has the competition transfers. frame 531c , 531 forks , Chinelli Criterium handlebars ,6 speed Maillard/Alesa wheels , Saba stem , brakes/gears/chainwheel/pedals/clips /fittings are Campag Brev (which I think makes it post 1978) , cannot find a serial number on frame. Bike is rideable but the rims are v worn , was thinking of having new wheels built using the hubs- any suggestions. Don't want to spend a fortune as it is really too big for me and after being hit head on at 70mph by a hit and run driver I am not sure about my future fitness. It would be nice to keep it in character- needs a lot of touch up paint!! Any suggestions/info much appreciated.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pictures please!

#paintathousandwords
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sorry- not very computer savvy- how do I get photos on here?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Holdsworth were a bike shop in Putney. Had there own brand, a friend of mine had a couple. Always associate them with Campag. They were often orange with a blue/green band, although that was sometimes reversed.
    The shop shut a few years ago, but they stopped selling their own brand some time ago I think.
    The brand was relaunched a few years back, didn’t do particularly well and Planet X have now bought it and market the bikes.
    Must confess I have a soft spot for them as they were fairly local to me.
  • Matthewfalle
    mf has a soft spot for the PX/Holdsworth bright orange job as its cool and lairy and will piss off clubbies

#orangeisthenewblack

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I share that soft spot.
    I bought my first racing bike from there, about 1979 I think. I remember being measured up in the shop, and then waiting a couple of weeks before I could pick it up. IIRC the frame was a similar spec to what the OP describes, but in a white/pearl colour. Sadly no pix.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Hi, the frame has a Walton cycles as the supplier but their transfer is in much better condition than the others so possible it could have been resold later, also has a gold "designed & handbuilt by Holdsworth" transfer above the bottom bracket. I have scoured the internet but cannot see any photos of the original and the only Competition model I can find is the retro version. The frame is a dark blue almost purple metallic colour. The top tube has the cable holders brazed (I assume) rather than clips . I don't want to replace parts until I know which bits were original. Any help/ideas much appreciated
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Mine definitely had brazed guides for the cables. Red cables and all.
    Post some pix and they might jog the memory.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    To post pics, you'll need to upload them to a photo hosting site (I use imgur) then there will be a link you can copy off the hosting site and paste into this forum.
  • hi , had a bit of luck , was watching a cycle video on YouTube and the narrator mentioned a site called "Veteran Cycle Club" , they have masses of info and online copies of Holdsworth catalogues . Found mine was produced between 82-84 , was available as a frame or complete bike with spec list. Suspect mine was bought as frame as one or two differences- now know colour is Campagnolo Blue Pearl . Will put a few photos on when I have it sussed. I suspect most of you are aware of the Veteran Cycle Club site, I ran a few old makes through the search and it is very good . I have printed spec out for mine. Well worth a look.