Removal of crank/chainset

dubbsdubblin
dubbsdubblin Posts: 10
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi - I am going to replace the BB on my 2013 Basso Laguna Veloce. I have taken off the crank arm on the non chainset side - and was hoping that the axel would push through the BB and allow the chainset and other crank arm / spider to move out of the BB... but... it wont budge... I believe the BB is pressfit BB 86 - though not 100% sure!

Would the axle be threaded in position in anyway? Or is it just rusted into place and I need to hit it harder with a mallet... I was not sure, so was being cautious and not whacking it too hard...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

dubbs.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Step 1 - confirm beyond any doubt what BB type you have. Because hammering a square taper chainset from the NDS will have no effect.

If it is BB86, the chainset should just tap out from the NDS..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And by tap, give it a mighty whack with a rubber mallet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Imposter wrote:
    Step 1 - confirm beyond any doubt what BB type you have. Because hammering a square taper chainset from the NDS will have no effect.

I believe the Laguna Veloce was a square taper BB.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Nope - not according to the spec on Wiggle - it's a Microtech pressfit - whatever that defines

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-veloce-2013/

Found another thread that may be useful to the OP

viewtopic.php?t=13075131

Again it suggests here that the BB is BB86 pressfit and at least one contributor (Chris Bass)records issues with crankset removal
  • That looks like a self extractor to me. If it is and it’s jammed you’re going to have to cut it off with a dremmel cutter or similar. Smacking it with a mallet might be a futile effort. I’ve only ever had a truly jammed self extractor once. That was an experience.
  • imposter2.0
    That looks like a self extractor to me. If it is and it’s jammed you’re going to have to cut it off with a dremmel cutter or similar. Smacking it with a mallet might be a futile effort. I’ve only ever had a truly jammed self extractor once. That was an experience.

The OP already said he has removed the NDS arm. But meanwhile, if you can explain how a self-extracting crank would work on the drive-side of a press-fit BB, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know...
  • Imposter wrote:
    That looks like a self extractor to me. If it is and it’s jammed you’re going to have to cut it off with a dremmel cutter or similar. Smacking it with a mallet might be a futile effort. I’ve only ever had a truly jammed self extractor once. That was an experience.

The OP already said he has removed the NDS arm. But meanwhile, if you can explain how a self-extracting crank would work on the drive-side of a press-fit BB, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know...
    Look at the bike / crank in question. That looks like a self extractor to me. It’s not quite like the FSA type self extractor but appears to be the same sort of thing. I’m guessing you’re supposed to remove the chain then turn the self extractor in the indicated direction and it pushes the drive side crank and rings away. But possibly the OP has got the NDS arm off without having done it properly and the drive side crank and spindle is now stuck. I don’t know I’m just putting it out there.
  • imposter2.0
    Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?
  • Wiggle states Microtech pressfit - Will take a photo and send shortly
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Imposter wrote:

Look at the bike / crank in question. That looks like a self extractor to me. It’s not quite like the FSA type self extractor but appears to be the same sort of thing. I’m guessing you’re supposed to remove the chain then turn the self extractor in the indicated direction and it pushes the drive side crank and rings away. But possibly the OP has got the NDS arm off without having done it properly and the drive side crank and spindle is now stuck. I don’t know I’m just putting it out there.

Mate you havent a clue, please stop being “helpful”
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    In my opinion you need to do as you thought. Get someone to hold the frame as close to the BB as possible and smack the end of the spindle with mallet or hammer and bit of wood. Good luck.
  • imposter2.0
    As above - the r/h crank and spindle is a one piece design (no self-extractor - who knew!!?) which should just tap/hammer out from the left. Looks like it's been in there for a while, so might need some persuasion...
  • Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor - came off with a 10mm alan bolt. I will give it a smack... been in there a couple of years since last replacement...
  • Vino'sGhost
    if in doubt....... give it a clout.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I made an almost identical post to this here when trying to remove a BB30 crankset from a Synapse. In the end I refitted the NDS arm but not fully tight, then with the socket still on the axle nut I gave it a whack and the crank popped out lovely. This way the crank was also still captive, so didn't fly anywhere unexpected as it only had a couple of mm to move, but this was enough to loosen it for removal (once the NDS arm had been removed again).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    arlowood wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Nope - not according to the spec on Wiggle - it's a Microtech pressfit - whatever that defines

viewtopic.php?t=13075131

Again it suggests here that the BB is BB86 pressfit and at least one contributor (Chris Bass)records issues with crankset removal

It would depend on whether they had an actual 2013 model or the previous model as that was a Campagnolo Veloce BB.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=13075131

It will depend on whether they have an actual 2013 model or the previous model as that was a Campagnolo Veloce BB.

It is a 2013 model - purchased from Wiggle as per the spec > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-veloce-2013/
  • figbat wrote:
    I made an almost identical post to this here when trying to remove a BB30 crankset from a Synapse. In the end I refitted the NDS arm but not fully tight, then with the socket still on the axle nut I gave it a whack and the crank popped out lovely. This way the crank was also still captive, so didn't fly anywhere unexpected as it only had a couple of mm to move, but this was enough to loosen it for removal (once the NDS arm had been removed again).

OK thanks - will give that a go as well!
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Here's my saga, for reference.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor - came off with a 10mm alan bolt. I will give it a smack... been in there a couple of years since last replacement...

I thought it was.
  • imposter2.0
    Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor - came off with a 10mm alan bolt. I will give it a smack... been in there a couple of years since last replacement...

I thought it was.

No you didn't. You know perfectly well nobody was talking about the NDS, ffs.

• Mate you havent a clue, please stop being “helpful”

Are you sure about that?

“Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor”

Oh look :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor - came off with a 10mm alan bolt. I will give it a smack... been in there a couple of years since last replacement...

I thought it was.

Really, where else would you find a self extractor? Your comprehension of what I typed might be off but that’s not my problem.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

I thought it was.

Really, where else would you find a self extractor? Your comprehension of what I typed might be off but that’s not my problem.

Ironically, I don't think even you understood what it was you typed. My question that you responded to was clear enough though. Once again, your clueless bullsh1t is catching you out.
  • figbat wrote:
    Here's my saga, for reference.

Many thanks
  • Vino'sGhost

Mate you havent a clue, please stop being “helpful”

Are you sure about that?

“Thanks guys - the 'none-chainset' side crank was a self extractor”

Oh look :lol:

yes I'm certain you're an idiot. People come here for help, it would be better that you restrict your offers of advice to things you actually know about. Bike maintenance isn't difficult but it can be confusing when people have to decipher good advice from drivel.