Larger U locks are easier to break

alire
alire Posts: 13
edited August 2018 in Commuting general
I remember hearing some time back that smaller U locks are more secure than larger ones (smaller clearance vs larger clearance) because they are harder to break with angle grinders. The logic seems sound - since there would be a greater risk of harming the bike in the process so thieves would be more deterred. Is there any proof to this though or is it just theoretical?

I'm considering purchasing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Unisex- ... g=UTF8&me=

Comments

• alire
    Actually I think it might have been with crowbars. Cannot remember.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Yes, smaller ones are harder to force open as you can’t get the tools in to do the job. The tighter the fit of a lock the better.
  • alire
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, smaller ones are harder to force open as you can’t get the tools in to do the job. The tighter the fit of a lock the better.

But wouldn't it depend on what tools are being used?

If one was to freeze it and use a hammer to smash the lock, a smaller lock would make that easier, I think. Again, I have never seen this demonstrated so cannot say for sure. It's just my first thought.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just make sure you have a chunkier lock and crappier bike that the one you park next to.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    alire wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

But wouldn't it depend on what tools are being used?

If one was to freeze it and use a hammer to smash the lock, a smaller lock would make that easier, I think. Again, I have never seen this demonstrated so cannot say for sure. It's just my first thought.
    I'm not a thief so I can't say for sure, but a small tight fitting lock would be harder to move into a convenient place to hit it. Big loose fitting lock means you can move it around.
    But basically what Cooldad says, make your bike less desirable to a thief than those around it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some of my bikes are so crappy I don't even bother to lock them. My commuter is a 1970's or so Raleigh. Sturmey Archer is cool.

Fortunately I live and work in a village in Surrey, and my commute is less than a mile.

Just lucky.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I think one of the attacks on U locks is the "jack attack" where a car jack or similar is put in between the prongs of the U, and used to force it apart. Smaller locks have much less room to get the jack in, therefore that doesn't work as well.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2014/10/yo ... ry/381818/
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava