Voodoo Bizango Vs Boardman MHT 8.6

tk799
tk799 Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice on the relative specs of the BIzango and the MHT 8.6. I know the Bizango is well regarded, but I was wondering how the MHT 8.6 compares.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike-16-18-20-22-frames

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8-6-mountain-bike-blue

Background is that I'm looking to get a new bike but haven't biked in a few years, and when I previously was it was on an old bike with no suspension. I'd like to get back into it and start doing more difficult and challenging trails. I'm city based so daily use will be roads and cycle paths, and then I'd be looking at getting out on trails on weekends, and going on mixed road / off-road rides in the lake district, peak district and places like that. I'm reasonably tall and heavy (6ft 1, 100kg) so would want something I'd feel confident could take a bit of a heavy landing with some weight on it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - updated to include links

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you post links it saves everyone having to search for the bikes you want commenting on, it also avoids anyone looking at the wrong bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tk799
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you post links it saves everyone having to search for the bikes you want commenting on, it also avoids anyone looking at the wrong bike.

Fair point, thanks. I've updated the post with links.
  • The Rookie
    Pretty much of a muchness, same fork, similar drivetrain (the Bizango is slightly better), similar brakes and both with the whacky 10x141 ‘boost’ rear wheels. Both assembled by Merida in the same factory as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tk799
    Thanks for taking a look and the info! Sounds like it's just a case of which I feel suits me more then.

What's the story with the boost wheels? I've missed that when doing my reading up on things.

Also, any advice on what I should upgrade first when the time comes? Dropper seat maybe?
  • The Rookie
    Boost rear is normally 12 x 148, this came from the 12x142 through axle rear which was the same hub width as the conventional 10x135 mm QR rear we had for donkeys years (the extra axle with is inside the dropout. This new standard is a way to use a boost width hub (and flanges) but with a cheaper QR mounting I assume as I’ve not seen it before.