Cheap vs Expensive sh*t

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited August 2018 in Road general
It looks like every 6 months, I break something on my off road racing bike. But isn't exactly equipped with the latest and the greatest components. So I'm thinking of upgrading my group set to something high-end if it is more durable. (Basically I want to go into Beast mode every day without having to worry about wearing sh*t out every 6 months )

Are high-end group sets far more durable than cheap group sets? (I really don't care about any additional performance gains as I didn't buy this bike for speed).

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IME high end is quite often less durable than entry level from the same manufacturer.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I see. Guess I will bring it in for repair again today and claim for warranty on the parts that need to be replaced rather than upgrading.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Out of curiosity what parts are you breaking/wearing out in 6 months and what sort of mileage ?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Beast mode?
    Is this down to ASDA fo tea bags as well?
    I think it's best to just accept, sh it will just break, whatever.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mf reckons op may be a masher and his beast mode is actually masher mode

#operatorerror
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Try mid range. Similar performance to higher end with a small weight penalty. Might be more durable depending on what part?

See how you go
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are you breaking ?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Our hearts if he puts Campagnolo on it.
  • If things are breaking/wearing out in 6 months it may be that you're abusing or not maintaining them rather than the durability of the parts and buying more expensive parts would just be a waste of money.

What is this 'off road racing bike' and what parts are breaking/wearing out?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    race type equipment is not designed to be abused... the derailleur concept is light but not very robust... there is not much difference across the range, maybe MTBike equipment is a bit more solid, but not much... you drop the bike, you might still write off a derailleur

If you are looking for solid and maintenance free, then something like "pinion" might be the answer... not a cheap route though
    left the forum March 2023
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If it's an off road bike can you fit MTB parts like Saint, Zee, SLX or XT? You're unlikely to break those just by riding your bike, although lack of care and maintenance will still kill them just like anything else.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Isn’t the general rule - strong, light, cheap, pick any 2 from 3.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Crescent wrote:

only if you buy rubbish

#don'tbuyrubbish
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I'm skeptical that expensive components are better value for money from a pure durability point of view. A Dura Ace derailleur would need to last 2-3 times as long as a 105 one just to be cost neutral.

If you're braking components through collisions or subjecting them to harsh conditions (sand, grit, etc.), you might as well buy the cheapest ones that perform acceptably.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Crescent wrote:

only if you buy rubbish

#don'tbuyrubbish

Is there a component that ticks all 3 boxes then?
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Crescent wrote:
    Crescent wrote:

only if you buy rubbish

#don'tbuyrubbish

Quality components in a sale.
    #sorted
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Crescent wrote:
    Crescent wrote:

only if you buy rubbish

#don'tbuyrubbish

Probably something like 105 is going to be the best value - but obviously its not going to be the lightest.