Look at the rack on that

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
I have a Voodoo Bizango

At Halfords they didn’t have any pannier racks that would fit it

It needs a disc version

But more importantly the bizango frame have one central hole, rather than the the usual two holes on the side (?) this is all new to me

As Halfords don’t have a rack, but I don’t know what I’m looking for.... anyone else get a rack for their Bizango?

If so I would love to know which one (would like a make like Topeak, rather than Halfords or some other shops version)

I would ideally like it to have a mud guard function built in(as some racks seem to)

Thanks for any help x

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Generally, mountain bikes aren't designed for racks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inkj
    cooldad wrote:
    Generally, mountain bikes aren't designed for racks.

All the other ones (last years VoodooBizango) all have the two holes in the sides (?) rather than the one central hole this years VB has

So it’s only this years one that’s more tricky

And maybe I’m the only person in the world who wants to take things with him and not in a rucksack
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Have one on these on my Boardman just used for a 5 day trip round Belgium with panniers without problem
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Cycle-Bike ... Sw241Ydjsw
  • inkj
    sh3p wrote:
    Have one on these on my Boardman just used for a 5 day trip round Belgium with panniers without problem

Nice... I’m not the only weirdo

So something like that but that fits Voodoo Bizango 2018

And also for 29” wheels

If anyone with the bizango has any suggestions or can see which racks would work their more unique fitting (central hole) that would be most helpful
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Inkj wrote:

Nice... I’m not the only weirdo

It is not about whether you are a weirdo or not, that is not what anyone has implied. I used to have back carriers on what I called my mountain bike. (It was actually a cruiser bike, although I didn't know that at the time). I used the back carrier to carry all the stuff that wouldn't fit into the bottle cage or the odd shaped bags that went under my saddle or between the top tube and seat tube. But once I bought a proper MTB, I gave up all that clutter and bought a backpack. I wanted my bike to be as light and uncluttered as possible. If my arse needed to go over the rear wheel for a steep descent, the last thing I needed was panniers in the way! If the bike was going to fall on me, again, it needed to be as light as possible. Additionally, having stuff in my backpack protected my back when I fell off. I have used that protection many times over the years. :cry:

If you NEED all that stuff hanging from your bike, I suspect that you may have bought the wrong type of bike for your needs.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You may find this thread more helpful...

viewtopic.php?t=12796018

;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • inkj
    I think this is the correct one for Bizango Voodoo

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Streamli ... _83341.htm

Thanks CL - I think it's slightly different as the Bizango has a hole but just one and not the two eyelets that most MTB's have
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Have you thought of one of these?

product-racks-mtx-beamrack-mtx-beamrack-v-type-36d8216168f9c932190ce15bf53470f5.jpg

We used one when we did the Great Glen Way/West Highland Way.You can also get them with sides if you want side bags

product-racks-rx-beamrack-with-side-frame-rx-beamrack-with-side-frame-v-type-840e5a2b5c5debf40fbc4f09b949e9c5.jpg

They just clamp to your seatpost.We found them to be quite sturdy even on some quite bumpy off road.
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/racks
  • inkj
    Thanks for that

It's defintely side bits I want [as I have two overboard panniers]

Thanks - I will look into them

I think the chap at Halfords suggested a seatpost clamp might not work - as I will need the seat on the lowest setting... being a 29er and me being 5ft8" [16" frame]

Though... the bike as it is... I want the seat up higher - as it feels too low... I think I've been doing more sort of road peddalling in the gym... or rather I don't like the BMX feel [or what it looks like BMXers enjoy peddalling angles to be]... I prefer having less bend in the knee [at peddal full extension]

So that maybe brings your Topeak suggestion in from the 'not possible because he/I will need the seat at the lowest setting'

Thanks again
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    Follow one of the many, many guides out there and set your seat to the correct height and then make a decision - you'll want/need it at the correct height for the distances you're wanting to cover in any case.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • sniper68
    Sounds like the bloke in Halfords doesn’t know what he’s on about.Correct saddle height is correct saddle height.
    If you need the saddle at it’s lowest position they’ve sold you a bike that’s too big.From your posts it appears they haven’t so the employee is talking rubbish.I ride a 16” and I’m the same height.I have ridden my mates 18” 29er and still had 3” of seatpost showing.
    Your knee should be slightly bent with the pedal at 6 o’clock to achieve the correct and most efficient position.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^

Wheel size has nothing to do with saddle height.

Or shorties on road bikes would all be riding like chavs on Apollos.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inkj
    cooldad wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^

Wheel size has nothing to do with saddle height.

Or shorties on road bikes would all be riding like chavs on Apollos.

That’s a very good description

The ‘BMX’ feel, at the current seat post height - does feel like I should be using the bike to get from one bridge/brick walk to another to spray my tag

Thanks again gang

If any of you want to go looting with me, let me know before I put my seat post up a couple of inches
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To set the saddle height, with the pedal at its lowest point and your HEEL on it, you knee should only just be bent.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    The Rookie wrote:
    To set the saddle height, with the pedal at its lowest point and your HEEL on it, you knee should straight.
    Fixed that for you.
    Your knee should be just slightly bent with the ball of your foot(where your cleat would be)on the pedal.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^ I'm with Rookie on this one. Leg is straight but not quite locked out, certainly if the heel is dangling over the pedal then seatpost is too high.

Once foot is in normal pedalling position there is a slight bend.

An alternative is to use leg leg, there is plenty examples if you Google it.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I presume heel on the pedal is used as the measure because ball of foot on the pedal allows you to skew the measurement by flexing the ankle? Heel measures leg length without polluting the measurement with such flex.

On most matters I'd go with Rookie's suggestions - I've never known him to be wrong!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)