Xr pro convert to tapered fork

Fars666
Fars666 Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

Good question trying to convert my mongoos xr pro bike so it would work with tapered forks. Which conversion kit should i get ? Would this one work Cane Creek 10 EC 44/40
Bottom Headset? I also still deciding between lefty and regular fork.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A link to your bike might help, but a lefty, with new wheel etc, would be a lot more than the bike cost.

I'd find a nice old RS Reba.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fars666
    Here's a link to it https://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoose- ... 3=&veh=sem

My bike comes with streight tube 1/8. All latest forks are tapered and yes i know that lefty is gonna be pricey. I like reba stiff and lightweight. I also looked at marvel forks they are on heavier side tho but cost much less.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    You can't fit a tapered fork to that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, tapered is out of the question, you could fit a lefty with a 1 1/8 steerer but that’s the fork, the wheel and the steerer and on that very basic bike it’s simply not worth it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fars666
    Even with the adapter tapered won't fit?
  • cooldad
    No because you don't have a 1.5" headtube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fars666
    I saw this video online where the guy was converting from 1/8 to tapered https://youtu.be/B3vr2uthzQ8 and he managed to fit it somehow.
    His headtube is not 1/8?
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Ok from watching the video you need the crane creek bottom bearing adapter mentioned in the video and yourself in your question then it's a normal install by the looks of it.
  • cooldad
    Looks like a bodge job to me, as the cup isn't even in the tube properly. I'll reserve judgement on the Hope one mentioned, but I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That’s into a 44mm headtube as he says in the pinned comment, perfectly normal and not a bodge (CD), but as you don’t have a 44mm but a plain 1 1/8 it’s not going to work.

The giveaway is that the original ZS44 bearings are inside the headtube for a plain steerer, he’s replaced that with an EC44 external, as yours are external already, you can’t.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fars666
    K got it that part wasn't completely clear for me. Thank you!