Meeting up for a group ride in an unknown area

Jorrit90
Jorrit90 Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Road general
Hi there,

Let's say you're on a holiday in a foreign country, and you have your bike with you. Instead of riding alone every day you would like to meet up for a group ride with some like-minded people, for example other vacationers in the same area. If so, what do you do? Where do you go?

I'm wondering if any of you ever feels this need. Currently I'm on holiday and I would like to ride with other people, but I have no clue where to find them. I'm also specifically not looking for a guided tour.

Regards,

Jorrit

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd start by checking if there are any cycling related Facebook groups for the area, and failing that ask in a local bike shop.

As for where to meet, somewhere central and busy.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Meet outside Tolos, 9am
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    put a post on here with your location
    put a post on other byciclerist forum
    search facebook for local cycling group
    search local clubs
    search local shops
    search local cyclist cafe
    if in britain then BC
    if not in britain then country equiv

#socialmedia
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you go to one of the popular places its relatively easy to find people. If not then you may struggle finding people of the right fitness and availability.

Personally I'm happy by myself and i dont have to worry about anyone.
  • Matthewfalle
    if you put your current location down someone of this forum may be near you now.

#informationispower

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Didtn Raphia start something where you could access the app, swipe write and meet up with some likeminded souls close by?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sounds like hell to me, but surely technology / social meeja is the way to do this? Strava? Find some riders in the area and message them, even if you find an unsociable one (like me), they'll surely point you to others who like riding in a group?
  • Thanks for all the replies.

Checking Strava for people who currently rode a segment seems like option no 1. LBS works in populated areas like Mallorca or Gran Canaria I think, but I'm currently in the middle of nowhere in Luxemburg. Not many bike shops around.
  • Didtn Raphia start something where you could access the app, swipe write and meet up with some likeminded souls close by?

I was thinking about something like this. What would your stance be towards a platform that helps you meet up with strangers for a group ride in an area unknown to you?
  • 27090945897_254317c2b6.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Jorrit90 wrote:
    Didtn Raphia start something where you could access the app, swipe write and meet up with some likeminded souls close by?

I was thinking about something like this. What would your stance be towards a platform that helps you meet up with strangers for a group ride in an area unknown to you?

too much risk of getting stuck with a bunch of nobbers/milemuncher

#clubbies

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.