Creaky new bike

captainfirecat
captainfirecat Posts: 44
edited August 2018 in The workshop
Hello all

I was wondering if I can have some suggestions as to what something could be. I have a Trek DS3, it’s done about 200 miles and had its 8 week service last week.

About 15 miles after the service it started to creak. It was spitting at the time so I parked it up at work and made a mental note to see if it was doing it going home.

Long story short, it was worse coming home and after some impromptu diagnosing I have determined:
- the creak only happens on a change in force on the seat. So anything other than pristine tarmac + bum on seat = creak.
- if I stand on the pedals, no creak.
- pedal and wheel speed are irrelevant to creak intensity.
- the creak SOUNDS like it is coming from the front of the bike, but it’s hard to be sure as it’s hard to get the creak when I’m off the bike (may need to enlist a friend...)

My biggest flaw with these things is a willingness to tinker WAY beyond my skill levels... so for once I thought I’d post about it BEFORE I start loosening and tightening things :)

My opinion after a quick Google is the sound is in fact the seat post and my brain is hearing sound coming from where I first expected the sound to be coming from. It seems illogical to me that pressure on the back would cause creaks on the front, though genuinely what do I know!

With that said, I intend to remove the seat post and wipe the post, fettle the inside of the frame post (somehow!) and put the post back. Good starting point?

Is it that simple? I’ve always had cheap bikes till now, this is a huge step up for me, does it need special treatment?

If the creak persists, where next? If I’ve not sorted this by Sunday I think back to the shop for them to do it... but I’d rather fix it myself :) Plus could I be damaging the bike by riding it with a creak?

That rambled on... all advice welcomed :)

Comments

• greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Got a spare seatpost/saddle you can try?

My daughter has the ladies version, nice bike, be surprised if it wasn't something simple that the LBS couldn't diagnose and fix quickly.

As for where it is coming from...good luck trying to judge by ear whilst riding, not managed to get one right yet!
  • Sounds travel, particularly those coming from the seat (trust me I've hunted down a few creaks to arrive at the saddle as the culprit).

Remove the seatpost, wipe clean, grease if appropriate, refit. If it still creaks it's the saddle. Remove the saddle, clean the pieces at the top of the post that clamp the saddle, clean the saddle rails, grease all as appropriate and refit. Personally I now just do both together while it's in the work-stand. 10 minute job. Don't forget to mark with tape on the seat post and saddle rails so that you can fit them back in the same position.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My last seat post creak got cured when I refitted the back wheel and tightened up the quick release properly.

Prior to that, I had a seat post creak cured when I refitted the bottom bracket (same bike. Now wonder if it's because I refitted the back wheel properly .. ).
  • craker wrote:
    My last seat post creak got cured when I refitted the back wheel and tightened up the quick release properly.

Prior to that, I had a seat post creak cured when I refitted the bottom bracket (same bike. Now wonder if it's because I refitted the back wheel properly .. ).

:lol::lol:
  • Saddle rails are a good source of creaks. As are QR skewers, spoke crossover points and weakened rims with tyres pumped up to high pressures.