What does WT mean

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
In the last few months, I have noticed a few incidences of people writing WT after a tyre description, such as "Schwalbe 27.5 2.4 WT" (I made that one up).

Will someone kindly tell me what the WT means please? :)

The best I can think of is Wide Tyre, but that seems superfluous.

Comments

• inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    With Tube - that's a guess.... as I'm new to MTB

Without Tube [so tubeless]?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited August 2018
    Wired Tire, as opposed to Folding?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    cooldad wrote:

...Ideal knob positioning... :D
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Wide Trail
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Thanks guys, that was the answer I was hoping I'd get - very clear. :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    wide trail, not tried them as i'm still old skool using 2.35 which seem wide enough for me depending on which tyres you run.

Some tyres are larger than other makes etc.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    It's a funny one, another marketing stunt? I run a 2.6 non WT Maxxis Minion, but you can also get a 2.5 WT version. Why even bother with the 2.6?!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This was covered by Doddy on a GMBN Tech video on YouTube recently, apparently the WT are designed for wider wheels (though there is no standard) so the knob heights are slightly different to give the correct progression from centre to side knobs with the different carcass shape you get with a wider rim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    The Rookie wrote:
    This was covered by Doddy on a GMBN Tech video on YouTube recently, apparently the WT are designed for wider wheels (though there is no standard) so the knob heights are slightly different to give the correct progression from centre to side knobs with the different carcass shape you get with a wider rim.

Yeah, I get that, but to run a 2.6 you'd need a 'wider' rim anyway, no? When I need a new one I'll go for a 2.5 WT and see if I notice any difference.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    how wide a wheel rim are we talking 35mm + to use these wide trail tyres but then aren't you then getting in to plus size territory?
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    how wide a wheel rim are we talking 35mm + to use these wide trail tyres but then aren't you then getting in to plus size territory?

Running my 2.6 on a 30mm. If I'm reading the DT Swiss PDF right, I can run up to a 3.5 on it! :shock: