Mudguards for disc frame

shamrock134
shamrock134 Posts: 714
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I'll be assembling a new bike for winter/commuter duties and I'm looking at the mudguard options. Does anybody know of a set that are designed specifically for disc brake frames?

In other words, no requirement to bend the mudguard stays to avoid the disc rotors/calipers and drilled to bolt into the seat stay bridge directly rather than using some rattly hanger that bolts into where rim brake calipers would exist normally?

Cheers

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    My SKS Bluemels needed only a small kink to clear the caliper. Either that, or some pieces of stainless tubing/pipe 5-10mm long to act as spacers
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    I've got these on my Norco search http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-narrow ... guard-set/

I had to chop the stays... but no bending to account for discs.

I'm a massive hater of mudguards and went for years without fitting any (mainly cause of all stories of rubbing and moving). These have been faultless.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • mw22 wrote:
    I've got these on my Norco search http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-narrow ... guard-set/

I'm a massive hater of mudguards and went for years without fitting any (mainly cause of all stories of rubbing and moving). These have been faultless.

Attractive price.

How does the rear guard attach to the seat stay bridge? I can't see anything in the photo.
  • mw22
    mw22 wrote:

Attractive price.

How does the rear guard attach to the seat stay bridge? I can't see anything in the photo.

From memory, it bolts through it. I can take specific pics of anything tonight if that helps. The rear doesnt move, doesn't bounce off the tire - if it did I wouldve binned them.
  • mw22 wrote:
    From memory, it bolts through it. I can take specific pics of anything tonight if that helps.

If you could that would be great. Bontrager make a set with adjustable stays that don't require chopping but I don't know if they fit disc frames without bending. I do know they have a hanger for the rear guard. :evil:
  • mw22
    mw22 wrote:
    From memory, it bolts through it. I can take specific pics of anything tonight if that helps.

If you could that would be great. Bontrager make a set with adjustable stays that don't require chopping but I don't know if they fit disc frames without bending. I do know they have a hanger for the rear guard. :evil:

Any others whilst I'm at it? They cut ok with a hacksaw - I'm no DIY expert :lol:

They come across as quite discreet - certainly on my Norco which is black, black rims, black spokes etc
  • mw22 wrote:
    They come across as quite discreet - certainly on my Norco which is black, black rims, black spokes etc

Sounds good. I'm making a stealthy bike too. :D

A pair of these attached too would help add some coverage... https://rawmudflap.uk/product/original-black-mudflap/
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Those lifeline mudguards are EXACTLY the same as the Whyte branded mudguards I have fitted to my Cornwall. they have been really good but are a little fiddly to set up.

I think whether or not you need to bend anything depends on how the calipers are mounted which is bike specific. Most now are flat mounted in between the seatstay and chainstay and as such are nowhere near the mudguard stays. Even with older bikes I have where they are on the chainstay, I have got lucky and never had them get in the way.
  • My new frame is flat-mount, I hadn't considered that. I suppose I could live with having to bend the stays but more important to me is direct bolting rather than one of these annoying rattly things...

HUTi1U1.png
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The lifeline one does use one of those on the rear: http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-med ... h=2000&a=7

Not on the front though.

I have never found it to rattle.

Its actually important and the reason why so many use it is because it allows you to slide the mudguard into the correct position for the bolt at the back of the bottom bracket to line up with the holes. I dont know if any mudguards dont use something like this and also bolt to the BB shell, which is important for stability in my mind.
  • I'm not sure that type of mounting will even work with my frame. It has a single bolt hole in the direction of the stays rather than perpendicular. Unless you bend it?

iUSpS35l.jpg
  • With a fitting like that you can fit the guard in place with the stays and bottom bracket fixing then mark the location for the hole to be made.

With my plastic/alloy guards I used a bradawl and reamer to make the hole but you could use a punch and drill if you want particularly on full metal guards.
  • andy9964
    My new frame is flat-mount, I hadn't considered that. I suppose I could live with having to bend the stays but more important to me is direct bolting rather than one of these annoying rattly things...

HUTi1U1.png

They don't rattle if you crimp them onto the mudguard once in place.
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    My new frame is flat-mount, I hadn't considered that. I suppose I could live with having to bend the stays but more important to me is direct bolting rather than one of these annoying rattly things...

HUTi1U1.png

They don't rattle if you crimp them onto the mudguard once in place.
    One's not required for the OP's frame.
  • andy9964
    Ah, yes, I see :oops:
  • With a fitting like that you can fit the guard in place with the stays and bottom bracket fixing then mark the location for the hole to be made.

With my plastic/alloy guards I used a bradawl and reamer to make the hole but you could use a punch and drill if you want particularly on full metal guards.

That does sound like the best solution. Now I just need to decide on the least fugly set! :lol:

Kinesis are releasing an "updated" version of their fend-off guards in September. I wonder if they've added any innovations for disc frames.