Waxing....

twiza
twiza Posts: 38
Bit of a sensitive one here but has anyone actually tried waxing their bums?! (apologies in advance if too much information here!!)

I've been struggling with saddle sore for years, have tried countless saddles, had a professional bike fit, wear good quality well fitting shorts, use chamois cream, good hygiene - all the usual advice, but still it persists and makes multi day cycling or long rides very painful.

My girlfriend who happens to be a Dr looked at my sores recently (very brave!) and said that they were all focused around individual hairs so suggested waxing. After pedalling to the hills (!) I did some research and all the forums say shaving is an absolute no which I can understand, and also points out that hair helps in reducing friction in certain areas so I'm not talking about all over waxing, but I've not found anything about waxing the direct contact points, i.e. around Sit Bones. Removal of the whole hair follicle in these areas actually is starting to make sense to me but interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

For info I'm about 100kg which is obviously fairly heavy for someone doing reasonable distances, but not overweight, just very tall. Means there is a fair bit of weight concentrated on those hairs, of which there are quite a few!!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez. What will hurt more ? Good luck !
  • twiza
    ha I know. You can imagine how bad it is that I'm even considering it!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    BC said to the the ladies not to wax as it makes it worse.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ore-medals
  • twiza
    Yes I did read that, wasn't sure if that was driven from bikini line waxing as opposed to the specific areas I'm talking about
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Try it.

What have you got to lose.......apart from dignity and respect. :wink:

Do report back and tell us if it works.

(Btw I've a particularly hairy arse myself)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• twiza
    I'll rename myself Guinea Pig!!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Hair removal is probably not the solution here. If it was, we'd probably all have to do it, but we don't. The reasons for saddle sores are many and varied, so I would try another fit in the first instance. You say you had a 'professional' bike fit -but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a good one...
  • twiza
    Agree that all ideas need to be exhausted, I just want to try and identify anyone who has tried it. Everyone seems to say no but no one has actually done it, waxing that is as opposed to other forms of hair removal.

The bike fit was actually very thorough, and I have a follow up session still to come. I have had a couple of other bike fits which I wasn't so impressed by.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Yep, I reckon the problem is with your bike fit, not the hairs. Also unless you are 6 foot 9 then you are overweight at 100kg, losing a few could only help in that regard.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes if pressure is an issue then weight loss should help. And possibly worth trying to push bigger gears so more of your weight is going into the pedals rather than sitting in the saddle spinning ? You know like you would going over cobbles ?
  • photonic69
    It could also be the padding in the shorts. I have a pair that I used to use on a short commute. The stitching on the pad edge was not very good and caused me to get sores along that area. Changed shorts and problem was solved. They were otherwise quite comfortable.

Re the waxing - it's only a small area around your sit bones so you could just do those bits but run the risk of having a "face feature" on your arse :lol: Otherwise do the whole lot but then you might risk "reverse hamster pants"!!! :lol::lol:

BUT PLEASE - NO PICTURES!!!!

• twiza
    I am 6'7" so hopefully that rules out obesity!! Actually I had wondered if the problem was exaggerated by a lack of padding - got quite a boney bum!

I have tried different shorts, in terms of fit and pad.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Fenix wrote:
    Yes if pressure is an issue then weight loss should help. And possibly worth trying to push bigger gears so more of your weight is going into the pedals rather than sitting in the saddle spinning ? You know like you would going over cobbles ?

MF would say that if he was going to do that not only would he mash his knees but still have a sore bottom.

#perhapsnot
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If I remember rightly, Father Dougal McGuire took great pleasure in telling everyone that Father Ted Crilly had a 'big auld hairy 4rse'. That's not you is it Ted?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • twiza wrote:

My girlfriend who happens to be a Dr

I find this hard to believe
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    twiza wrote:

My girlfriend who happens to be a Dr

I find this hard to believe

she may be a Dr but he hasn't said that she is a human medical doctor. She coukd have a doctorate in cooking.

#falsepretences

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He also thinks she’s brave for looking at his groin. How strange.
  • photonic69
    Webboo wrote:
    He also thinks she’s brave for looking at his groin. How strange.

It might be a new relationship and she's a Dr of Civil Engineering?

• Matthewfalle
    without pictures of her we'll never know

#poidh(butnotofhim)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I thought you were starting a tread about waxing your chain!
  • twiza
    It seems to have taken an unfortunately predictable twist Maria!
  • twiza wrote:
    It seems to have taken an unfortunately predictable twist Maria!

Definitely replace a twisted chain.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles