Reverb stuck down

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Stealth reverb is stuck down on son's bike. Dug out the bleed documentation and videos, and then discovered a) that bleed is supposed to be done with post extended and b) the fluid I've got has leaked out from the bottle so I don't actually have any to hand (order now placed!).

I read here viewtopic.php?t=13071726 that there is a "quick fix" which someone used whilst out on the trail with their mate - but the thread it links to suggests a straightforward bleed, and I doubt many riders head off with a bottle of fluid and two syringes so that they can bleed a reverb half way around. So is there a "quick fix" which I'm missing somewhere (e.g. like the one where you get a cable tie and use it to release pressure in a fork which is stuck compressed down or similar)?

Or is it a case of 1) buy fluid 2) release air pressure from the dropper 3) bleed as per instructions / video 4) pump air back in 5) bleed again etc to get it back up?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I heard stuck down needs more than a bleed, and found this on the Epic site.

"This is a great kit at the price; Only thing I'd add is a bit of PTFE tape around the thread that goes into the seatpost as this kept leaking. The bleed process was a nightmare but this wasn't the fault of the product, but the seat post. I had to bleed four times.

This may help some of you: My post was stuck in the down position and no amount of bleeding was fixing this. What I did in the end:

1. Let all the air out of the post.
    2. Used electrical tape to hold the lever down (new type lever, you may need someone to help you with the old style.
    3. Held the nose of the saddle under my foot on the ground inverted with the post facing upwards and physically pulled the lower shaft upwards to extend the post to its max height.
    4. While holding it extended, pumped the air back in to the stated PSI.
    5. released the lever and rebled

This worked for me."

Big fan of their kits, cheap and work well

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/prod ... plete-kit/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Cheers, ironically ordered an Epic Bleed kit for brakes just yesterday.

Will try the "no amount of bleeds" first to see if that does sort it; if not, then the technique above may come into play!
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    When mine went stupid I bought a new one.

Let me know if it works, as I've got the other one in the shed. I even bought a basic service kit but did nothing with it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I sent mine away to Bolton for a basic service - will try to find advert but it was through eBay and they were very good. There and back within a week.
    I store it extended and keep it clean.
    Dave
  • david7m
    You'll still need to bleed it yourself if wired as stealth.
    Dave
  • Get your 34mm spanner out.
  • larkim
    Got it moving up and down (slowly). Is the 250psi air pressure meant to be 250psi when extended or when compressed? I’m guessing extended. I presume if the shock pump is attached when it is compressed I should see a significant increase in pressure?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    larkim wrote:
    Got it moving up and down (slowly). Is the 250psi air pressure meant to be 250psi when extended or when compressed? I’m guessing extended. I presume if the shock pump is attached when it is compressed I should see a significant increase in pressure?
    250psi is when the post is extended,I tend to think I read somewhere that the pressure does increase when the post is dropped,this is what makes the older ones soft top with about 20mm of drop,as it forces air past one of the o rings
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    david7m wrote:

Good shout. I'll have a look at that.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I reduced the air pressure of the Reverb to about 175psi as I didn't need 250psi for it to work properly. It now needs less force to actuate it (downwards) and it must reduce the stress on the internal seals.

Any other opinions? :)
  • david7m
    I couldnt get my pump to undo without losing most of the air :D
    Should be better for the system if it works on less pressure.
    Dave
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    david7m wrote:
    I couldnt get my pump to undo without losing most of the air :D
    Should be better for the system if it works on less pressure.
    Dave

There is always some sound of air escaping from the pressure hose on your shock pump as you remove it. But if you already know that and are still concerned, then it is probably a faulty Schrader valve. I had one of those on a brand new Fox shock. The nipple in the centre was a fraction too long and it allowed too much air to escape no matter how rapidly I unscrewed the shock pump head. I've never removed a Schrader valve core, but I know it takes seconds, so how hard can it be? :)
  • david7m
    I've a valve core tool and replaced it - didnt work for me. It would have been easy if the pump a push on fit, but guess they would give way with 250 psi ;)
    Dave
  • larkim
    A few cycles of pressurising / releasing resulted in the seat returning slowly to fully extended, so bled the system as per usual and it's all back in full working order, surprisingly quick action once you've got used to it slowing down gradually over time.

Fluid was filthy, so probably should have completely flushed it, but that'll have to wait until next time.