Danny Cipriani

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited August 2018 in The cake stop
good night out there it seems. good to see he's a reformed character....
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Yep - as a fan of England Rugby, it's sad to see one of the prodigious talents of his generation continually f**k up like this.

He was given (yet another) chance (his first in 10 years I think) to prove himself agains SA a few weeks ago and did really well in the third test signalling, I thought, a new dawn for their sometimes ineffective midfield. He'll be lucky to get the chance again. Can't see Eddie Jones or his club being too sympathetic.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matthewfalle
    he's pleaded guilty at the Magistrates' Court.

he'll get off with a slap on the wrist though as thats the way these things go with "celebs" and "sporting heroes"

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2018 ... ond-floor/

more twattiness by pro rugby players on the sunny holiday isle over the past week .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Who the fuck are these people and why do we put them on a pedestal?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    that my friend is a questionmf has long been asking but keeps on getting told that they are role models and should be gertting knighthoods and gongs for throwing/kicking/hitting a ball or riding a bicycle.

so far this week you've had Stokes and Cipriani in court for assault/affray and its only Thursday morning.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    that my friend is a questionmf has long been asking but keeps on getting told that they are role models and should be gertting knighthoods and gongs for throwing/kicking/hitting a ball or riding a bicycle.

so far this week you've had Stokes and Cipriani in court for assault/affray and its only Thursday morning.

I think there's been a few more than just Stokes and Cipriani. It's hardly a problem, it's always gone on. It's the media now milking the situation.

And remember, Stokes was not guilty.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    £2 k fine.

farce.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

I think there's been a few more than just Stokes and Cipriani. It's hardly a problem, it's always gone on. It's the media now milking the situation.

of course there is more. thats just this week.

no one is milking it - they're just reporting it. or don't you like reporting that puts english sports people in a bad light?

#FAKENEWSMEDIA

so what if he was not guilty? he's still going around punching people in the street.

#classact

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    £2 k fine.

farce.

Is that any different to what anyone else would have got?

It seems like a joke either way. Resisting arrest leaving a police officer with bruises on her arms and neck.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    £2 k fine.

farce.

How many minutes pay is he down?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lostboysaint

no one is milking it - they're just reporting it. or don't you like reporting that puts english sports people in a bad light?

#FAKENEWSMEDIA

so what if he was not guilty? he's still going around punching people in the street.

#classact

MF has missed the point. The whole "role model" "pedestal" thing isn't relevant at all. There'll be journalists reporting this stuff that will have been in fights inside and outside of nightclubs, the hypocrisy of the reporting which is always "guilty until proven innocent" is bordering on hysterical. It's embarrassing. If they've behaved like that then let the courts judge them and deal with the situation after that.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle

#FAKENEWSMEDIA

#classact

MF has missed the point. The whole "role model" "pedestal" thing isn't relevant at all. There'll be journalists reporting this stuff that will have been in fights inside and outside of nightclubs, the hypocrisy of the reporting which is always "guilty until proven innocent" is bordering on hysterical. It's embarrassing. If they've behaved like that then let the courts judge them and deal with the situation after that.

Cipriani was guilty. He pleaded guilty. He was found guilty. He got let off with a farcical sentence. £2k? Farce.

When Rooney was busted for DIC he was let off with a farcical sentence. 100 hours community service.

Stokes didn't need to be proven guilty - there is cctv of him punching people in the street. Common morality says that he is guilty of punching people in the street. He was found not guilty of a criminal charge not not guilty of being a twat.

If you're happy to be walking down the road with your other half after a night out and see people belt 7 bells out of each other then be called back to the national whatever sport team and hailed as "heroes" then your levels of decency and morality are slightly different than that of the MFs.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227

Yeah I've never understood idolatry, hero worship or the cult of celebrity :roll:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kingstongraham
    Rolf F wrote:
    £2 k fine.

farce.

How many minutes pay is he down?

Why did you answer with a question?
  • lostboysaint

#FAKENEWSMEDIA

#classact

Cipriani was guilty. He pleaded guilty. He was found guilty. He got let off with a farcical sentence. £2k? Farce.

When Rooney was busted for DIC he was let off with a farcical sentence. 100 hours community service.

Stokes didn't need to be proven guilty - there is cctv of him punching people in the street. Common morality says that he is guilty of punching people in the street. He was found not guilty of a criminal charge not not guilty of being a fool.

If you're happy to be walking down the road with your other half after a night out and see people belt 7 bells out of each other then be called back to the national whatever sport team and hailed as "heroes" then your levels of decency and morality are slightly different than that of the MFs.......

Not at all. And once again your moral indignation has taken you way off topic as you're going on about sentencing now and that's something entirely different.

If two blokes - one an ex Army type waving a bottle around - were threatening me (unlikely) and my wife and a professional sportsman chose to step in and deal with him I have to say I wouldn't have a problem with it. Remember that we only hear bits of what the jury hear and they found him not guilty. Also remember that the defence chose not to call the guys being threatened as they didn't feel it necessary as the case against him was so poor.

Of course I don't want it happening. But do I hide myself away from the reality and pretend that it doesn't? No. Do I think that sportsmen are going to be any different in terms of having wildly different moral compasses as the general public does? Of course I don't. Does it annoy me when the Great British Public put a racist thug on a pedestal because she (in the media's opinion) is attractive? You're damn right it does. Does it annoy me that the media try everything in public, threatening the outcome of a case, because it's deemed "of public interest" and the cult of celebrity demands it? Absolutely.

Get off the high horse and know that statistically it's very unlikely to happen to you, regardless of how many professional sportsmen frequent your local "leisure spot".
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    So you agree with MF then.

#exactly

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • laurentian
    I don't condone his behaviour or that of Stokes, Rooney et al but I always wonder about the "role model" tag that they seem to be burdened with.

They are people who happen to be exceptionally good at their chosen sport. They don't ask to be "role models" and yet get slammed when they do something daft (that hundreds of thousands of "normal folk" do) because the press have decided they are role models. I suppose it could be argued that Rooney is (or should be) a role model to his children but that's about as far as that particular moniker should be bestowed unless someone stands up and says "look at me kids, this is how to run your life"
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    laurentian wrote:
    I don't condone his behaviour or that of Stokes, Rooney et al but I always wonder about the "role model" tag that they seem to be burdened with.

They are people who happen to be exceptionally good at their chosen sport. They don't ask to be "role models" and yet get slammed when they do something daft (that hundreds of thousands of "normal folk" do) because the press have decided they are role models. I suppose it could be argued that Rooney is (or should be) a role model to his children but that's about as far as that particular moniker should be bestowed unless someone stands up and says "look at me kids, this is how to run your life"

Sorry, once you are in the public eye and have a younger generation enjoying watching you play then you have a responsibility. Youth are keen to look up to sportsmen, and as such they should behave in a proper manner.

If I was up in court like this then my employers, even if found not guilty, would be all over me. An yes I am also in a position where I have to be a role model for my staff, just fortunate not to have to be a role model pulled up in the national press, but likely just local press for something like Stokes or Cirpiani actions as news reporting.
  • laurentian
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

Sorry, once you are in the public eye and have a younger generation enjoying watching you play then you have a responsibility. . .

Wholeheartedly agree with that as far as their conduct in the sporting arena is concerned but do you think anyone has the right to extend or expect that responsibility for them outside of their working environment? Would you expect to be held up a role model to your staff outside of your place of work by those who work with you? Would you consider that fair or justified?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    laurentian wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

Sorry, once you are in the public eye and have a younger generation enjoying watching you play then you have a responsibility. . .

Wholeheartedly agree with that as far as their conduct in the sporting arena is concerned but do you think anyone has the right to extend or expect that responsibility for them outside of their working environment? Would you expect to be held up a role model to your staff outside of your place of work by those who work with you? Would you consider that fair or justified?

Yes. Outside of my working environment I too am expected to behave in a manner that does not reflect badly on my company. Part and parcel of my job. I'm not a sportsman, but if I brought my company embarrassment then I would expect disciplinary action as it's in my contract.

Plus there are other ways of sorting a dispute that does not descend into fists, even in defence, assuming it was not a full on offensive by the other party, which for me is the only situation a fight is justified.
  • laurentian
    I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment but think that there should be a line between ones public life and ones private life - no one should have the role of role-model thrust upon them . . . sadly, the common factor with all of these cases seems to be drink.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think he should have been given life with hard labour.

...actually I could not give a toss. Many people got fined today for breaking the law. Why bring up this particular one? Our hero let one down has she...Yeah thats it. Grow up.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • kingstongraham
    FishFish wrote:
    Many people got fined today for breaking the law. Why bring up this particular one?

He's the famous one, so it's on the news. HTH.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I read somewhere that his mum ran herself into the ground driving a black cab to fund him through public school where his talent for rugby was first spotted and nurtured.

I would say that him letting people down in his role as a supposedly ‘good role model ‘ is as nothing for letting down his mother’s efforts to give him the best possible start!
  • Matthewfalle
    mf would say that grabbing female police people by yhe throat is a bit shit as well

#modernicon

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Isn’t it amazing how repentant people become once they realise that their career is on the line? Actions, consequences, think before you drink.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • as somebody who thinks that rugby players/supporters get away with things being dismissed as "jolly japes that would get many others banned/imprisoned/on the register...

...I do wonder why there are no moving pictures of this shocking incident - do they have different laws in Jersey?
  • mf would say that grabbing female police people by yhe throat is a bit shoot as well

#modernicon
    Would grabbing a male copper by the the throat be OK?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Matthewfalle
    as somebody who thinks that rugby players/supporters get away with things being dismissed as "jolly japes that would get many others banned/imprisoned/on the register...

...I do wonder why there are no moving pictures of this shocking incident - do they have different laws in Jersey?

https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/sp ... nightclub/

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • as somebody who thinks that rugby players/supporters get away with things being dismissed as "jolly japes that would get many others banned/imprisoned/on the register...

https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/sp ... nightclub/

wrong link?