Rigid fork choice

Gerard778
Gerard778 Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Folks.

I'm currently trying to rescue an old Revolution mountain bike which has been sadly neglected over the years.

I'd like to replace the very heavy, and very heavily corroded, Suntour suspension forks with basic rigid forks.
The axle to crown measurement of the old forks is 450mm and I'd like to keep to that dimension with the new forks.
It's a 26" wheel with a disc brake.

So, my question is: does anyone know, or can anyone recommend, a model of rigid forks with this 450mm axle to crown dimension? This is a budget build so I'm looking at spending about £60 max.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What usage?

For lighter off road use the Mossi forks are great, come in a range of A2C and are lighter than carbon, forgiving on firebreak type trails but not stiff enough for more serious off road use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you. Yes, it's for lighter off road use. The Mossi ones sound ideal. Who stocks those?
  • Carboncycles also have a few options, I have fitted a couple with successa nd they seemed good quality.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, it’s a typo, Mosso, have a look on eBay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've had a look on eBay at the Mosso forks. They look great but only the 29" forks have the 450mm axle to crown dimension. Can I put a 29" fork on my bike and use a 26" wheel with it or will that screw up the brake caliper fitment?
  • The Rookie
    The disc brake calliper is in the same place, so you can use a 29” fork with a 26” wheel as long as it’s disc braked.
  • Great. I'll do that. Thank you.