Bought my first turbo

mrkev83
mrkev83 Posts: 184
I got the tacx flow smart T2240

I've joined zwift on a free trial and I've done a group ride and ftp test

I don't really know how to get the best out of it. I'm completely new to turbos

I'm thinking try all the free trials on different apps and then go from there but how would I stick to a training plan on the turbo and then say if I got the chance to go out how would I do training in the real world. I've never done any structured training but really want to get fitter

Treat me as clueless please. I literally did not realise I had to change gears still at first on zwift
http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I started using zwift last year and it's got a lot better since then.
    You can sign up to a training plan and it tells you which workout to do next, or you can randomly pick and choose workouts (from the sets on zwift)

What I did last winter was zwift workouts during the week (after work when it was dark) then my normal riding at the weekend. If the weekend was bad weather or I was away, I just rode on zwift for 1/2 hours on the sunday evening, or picked a specific race to take part in instead.

I felt that the zwift workouts increased my power and the longer rides kept my endurance power up.

Hopefully this helps a bit
  • MrKev83 wrote:
    I got the tacx flow smart T2240

I've joined zwift on a free trial and I've done a group ride and ftp test

I don't really know how to get the best out of it. I'm completely new to turbos

I'm thinking try all the free trials on different apps and then go from there but how would I stick to a training plan on the turbo and then say if I got the chance to go out how would I do training in the real world. I've never done any structured training but really want to get fitter

Treat me as clueless please. I literally did not realise I had to change gears still at first on zwift

The short answer is to make your outdoor ride as similar as possible to what was planned for you indoor training.

If you were scheduled to do 2 x 20 indoor, then do 2 x 20 outdoor.

Endurance rides are good for outdoors. Structured workouts less so, but doable.

Without a power meter you wouldn't have the data to bring back to the app or maybe heart rate data if you have heart rate.

Along with trying out all of the apps, I'd also consider the possibility of directing your own training.

Generic plans and automated coaches are no match for the informed athlete, but informed athletes aren't profitable so you are unlikely to see many trying to make things clearer but instead emphasize how complicated and overwhelming everything is so you should just use their software because they've figured it all out for you.

The reality is that you can do the following in manual ergometer mode using the standard software that comes with your traininer:

2 x 20 with 5 minute rest in between and at as high an intensity as you can sustain
    4 x 4 with 2 minute rest
    10 x 30 seconds with 15 secs rest

Once you can comfortably ride for 2 hours, then start with 2 x 20
    Then gradually introduce 4 x 4 then 10 x 30s

As you approach your event, make your workouts more specific, i.e. emphasize shorter intervals for a road race (this is because you can more quickly gain/lose short power).

Keep a training log and record your working power, combined interval duration, etc. (I built a tool for this I call a visual training log if you are interested in helping to test it)

With a training log, you will be able to see your improvement and figure out over time the amount of weekly load and ramp rate you can handle, what preceded good performance, i.e. what works and also what doesn't work

Monitor your recovery by checking your resting heart rate, perceived effort, sleep quality, energy, appetite, mood and motivation.
  • mrkev83
    Thank you for the replies. Typical I am new to putting any kind of structure to my training so this helps. Thanks again

How would I try your training log?

• Sure thing! And keep the questions coming. I'll PM you the details about the tool.

Edit - Tool demo available here ==> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu234 ... SJbpPlMdsA
    MrKev83 wrote:
    Thank you for the replies. Typical I am new to putting any kind of structure to my training so this helps. Thanks again

How would I try your training log?
  • mrkev83
    I think I need some articles or guides. Zwi ft I get that but just tried the tacx app training and did not get it. It showed 3x5 but when the rain went up no resistance changed or anything. I could of sat there pedalig like I was out on a summers day

Any pointers welcome

• bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    In zwift make sure you are paired as a controllable trainer, this will change the resistance automatically when you pedal up hills or doing a workout in erg mode etc. Lots of advice on youtube have a look at Shane Millar's tutorial videos...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Group rides and specifically races are the game changer on Zwift. I used to hate turbo, now that a collarbone has forced it on me, Zwift racing has saved my life.

The drafting effect is pretty well modeled on Zwift, so unless you're doing group riding/racing, you're missing out on Zwift's biggest ace in the hole.

If you have a power meter there's no real need for a smart trainer, just an ant+ stick for your laptop. I initially balked at the monthly subscription, but the racing option makes it a bargain.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    VamP wrote:
    Group rides and specifically races are the game changer on Zwift. I used to hate turbo, now that a collarbone has forced it on me, Zwift racing has saved my life.

The drafting effect is pretty well modeled on Zwift, so unless you're doing group riding/racing, you're missing out on Zwift's biggest ace in the hole.

If you have a power meter there's no real need for a smart trainer, just an ant+ stick for your laptop. I initially balked at the monthly subscription, but the racing option makes it a bargain.

Same for me. I wanted to have something to push my training and do in winter when it's too cold/wet to go outside.

Zwift has changed it for me too. I've never cycled as hard as I did in my first race on there. Absolutely love it now