Shimano Hydraulic Hose fixings

trickytree1984
trickytree1984 Posts: 71
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi. I'm in the process of moving Di2 off a broken bike to my winter bike. This involves changing the lever from RS505 to R8070 levers. I couldn't get the hose to seal on one lever. Should the olive and fixing bolt be the same?

My mechanic looked at it and said the lever has a stripped thread. The guy I bought them off said "I know from experience that the new style flare nuts have a shallower depth of thread and are more difficult to install than the previous version."

I've sent them back and bought another set but can anyone tell me should my existing fixing work fine?

Comments

• Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    Hi. I'm in the process of moving Di2 off a broken bike to my winter bike. This involves changing the lever from RS505 to R8070 levers. I couldn't get the hose to seal on one lever. Should the olive and fixing bolt be the same?

My mechanic looked at it and said the lever has a stripped thread. The guy I bought them off said "I know from experience that the new style flare nuts have a shallower depth of thread and are more difficult to install than the previous version."

I've sent them back and bought another set but can anyone tell me should my existing fixing work fine?

I swapped from RS785 to R8070 back in March and the fixing nut is different between the 2 levers, are you using the fixing nut that came with the R8070 or trying to re use the nut from the RS505?

The nut for the R8070 should have a flat flange around the bottom, the RS785 nut didn't and I assume the RS505 nut is the same.
  • Livewire wrote:

I swapped from RS785 to R8070 back in March and the fixing nut is different between the 2 levers, are you using the fixing nut that came with the R8070 or trying to re use the nut from the RS505?

The nut for the R8070 should have a flat flange around the bottom, the RS785 nut didn't and I assume the RS505 nut is the same.

Hi. I tried the nut from the rs505. Looking into it they are different and you are right, the r8070 has a flange. Looks like I need to source the nut as they didn't come with the levers. This will mean cutting the hose and a new olive too I guess as I'll need to get the existing nut off
  • Livewire
    Yes you will need to source the correct nuts and also replace the olives when you cut the hoses. I have been searching online but can not find the flanged nuts I am afraid. You may need to email Shimano directly.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    That's interesting, the old hydraulic nuts were bomb-proof and very user-friendly.

I've had mine on and off my RS785s more times than I care to remember when I've been recabling them, bleeding them and switching calipers etc. Shame to hear that they've changed it to a (potentially) more fragile design.
  • Livewire
    That's interesting, the old hydraulic nuts were bomb-proof and very user-friendly.

I've had mine on and off my RS785s more times than I care to remember when I've been recabling them, bleeding them and switching calipers etc. Shame to hear that they've changed it to a (potentially) more fragile design.

I think it was just a case of Shimano having to move the location where the hose enters the lever slightly because everything is more compact so they had to change the nut design to make it a little shorter.

The new nut with the flange is just as durable as the old nut and the flange actually makes it easier to tighten as the spanner can sit on the flange rather than slip off the end of the old style nut.
  • Thanks all for the replies.

Looking into this more, the hose and fixings are different on the newer levers. Luckily the new set of R8070 levers i have purchased come with the hose kit so this SHOULD be ok. My only question is, the new levers use BH90 hoses, and the old use BH59 hoses. I will probably change the hose to ensure compatibility, however i will be putting the hose into the old BR-RS505 calipers. Reading this post...https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147500&sid=812746fd6ed77f860ff2dd2b453a95c9&start=15...the hoses are interchangeable, but the connectors need to be correct.

I assume the if i use my old bolts for the calipers, but the new BH90 hose, pins and olives, i should be ok?
  • Livewire
    Thanks all for the replies.

Looking into this more, the hose and fixings are different on the newer levers. Luckily the new set of R8070 levers i have purchased come with the hose kit so this SHOULD be ok. My only question is, the new levers use BH90 hoses, and the old use BH59 hoses. I will probably change the hose to ensure compatibility, however i will be putting the hose into the old BR-RS505 calipers. Reading this post...https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147500&sid=812746fd6ed77f860ff2dd2b453a95c9&start=15...the hoses are interchangeable, but the connectors need to be correct.

I assume the if i use my old bolts for the calipers, but the new BH90 hose, pins and olives, i should be ok?

My understanding is that the the BH90 hose is just a little stiffer than the BH59 so you should be fine. I used the olive and insert for the BH59 hose on my BH90 hoses without any issue.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    The new BH90 hose is also a narrower bore and there is a different insert for that hose; the older BH59 hose uses the wider gold inserts, whereas the newer BH90 hose uses the narrower silver inserts.

Livewire has gone in the safe direction at least, by cramming a wide insert into a narrow-bore hose, but the other way round could very well lead to leaks under-pressure.

Back to your original questions, as far as I'm aware the olives and nuts are all interchangeable, so yes you should be fine to reuse those with the new hose, olives and inserts.

Just remember to measure thrice and cut once! It's even a pain re-cutting hydraulic hose shorter if you cut it too long, because then you need new connectors and have to rebleed it all again.
  • Livewire
    If it helps I have a spare piece of BH59 hose at home and some new silver inserts, I will fit a silver insert to the BH59 hose and report back if the fit is loose.
  • Thanks all.

My R8070 levers will apparently come with the B90 hose, connectors and olives all matched up. My question was more are these ok being installed into a RS505 caliper that came with B59 hose, olive and connectors. I think the answer is yes. I have the old bolts from the RS505 calipers so its more of a will the hose, olive and connector be ok in there?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Despite all the experience gained with mtb hydraulic brakes it does seem like things are evolving very quickly on the road side.

At least they’re simple to setup from new and a cinch to bleed once in a while.