Anyone bought an XT Di2 1x groupset from Merlin and received a junction box?

johnmcl7
johnmcl7 Posts: 162
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
I bought the 1x XT Di2 drive kit from Merlin cycles:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt ... 97476.html

I've been checking through the package though and I can't find the junction box but I'm not entirely sure if it's needed. It isn't shown in the picture and there are three ports on the display unit, since there's only one shifter then that leaves one port free. The Shimano documentation for a single shifter setup shows the shifter plugged into the display, the display connected to the junction box and the rear derailleur and battery connected to the junction box.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has bought this package and if they received the JC41 junction box, I have contacted Merlin but no response yet. Also a bit miffed that they've dropped the price £40 almost immediately after I received it :(

Edit - Merlin have replied that there should have been a junction box in the bag with the cables and cable tool which there definitely isn't so they are shipping one out to me

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,444
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    ............. Also a bit miffed that they've dropped the price £40 almost immediately after I received it :(

Send it back, get a credit, and then buy another one for £40 less.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or just ask if they'll refund you £40 to save you, wholly legally, doing exactly that.

You should be ok without the junction box theoretically if there are 3-ports on the display - rear mech, battery and shifter into the display. Done. Depending on where your battery is you'll need long cables though which is a bit messy. A junction-B box (ie the JC41) does mean you can hide everything inside your frame.

If you put the battery up your steerer or anything then I'd not use one, and just use the display, with a long cable from the display to the rear mech.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    njee20 wrote:
    Or just ask if they'll refund you £40 to save you, wholly legally, doing exactly that.

You should be ok without the junction box theoretically if there are 3-ports on the display - rear mech, battery and shifter into the display. Done. Depending on where your battery is you'll need long cables though which is a bit messy. A junction-B box (ie the JC41) does mean you can hide everything inside your frame.

If you put the battery up your steerer or anything then I'd not use one, and just use the display, with a long cable from the display to the rear mech.

At the moment I think I'm going to fit the battery using the external mount on the bottle cage but wanted the junction box in case I mount it internally in future.