Bike Insurance

KalaMonkey
KalaMonkey Posts: 14
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After a bit of miscommunication between yours truly and my home insurance company.
It turns out my bike (Scott Genius 740) is not being insured for anywhere near what it would cost to replace the bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations on insurance for at a minimum theft only while the bike is in the garage?

Cover for when I'm riding the bike would be nice, but I'm not exactly flying round the trail centres like a looney and I reckon the bike should be able to handle the odd fall etc.

Thanks in advance.
Kala

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just do compare the market to see who works out cheaper for home insurance and your bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or ask them to up the cover.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    These were the best for me, so I got it with them, [you get a discount if you are with UK Cycling, which I am not]... but all the extras like £500 of stuff... is covered 'for free' you have to pay extra with the one below

http://cyclesure.uk/cyclinguk/

These you get a discount with BC, which I am with - but I didn't get this one as it worked out as worse cover but slightly more expensive

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/bikeinsurance
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info, I''ll have a look.

There was/is some useful info here for anyone else reading this thread
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/home-i ... insurance/
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    £5 a month for £5k of bikes covered as specified items on home insurance, at home and when away. £5000 of accessories etc covered as non specified items away from home also. I looked at cycle specific insurance but was a lot more expensive.
  • JGTR wrote:
    £5 a month for £5k of bikes covered as specified items on home insurance, at home and when away. £5000 of accessories etc covered as non specified items away from home also. I looked at cycle specific insurance but was a lot more expensive.

I thought that I was getting something similar with my home insurance

At the moment I'm looking at about £200+ a year :(
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited September 2018
    What happens to the premiums if you remove the "away from home" requirement?

Just keep your eye on it when out and about, NEVER leave it unattended, ie be sensible.
  • JGTR
    What happens to the premiums if you remove the "away from home" requirement?

Just keep your eye on it when out and about, NEVER leave it unattended, is be sensible.

I take my bike away on family holidays and trips away so not always possible to keep an eye on it. Currently chained to the back of my car while away in Norfolk!
  • JGTR
    KalaMonkey wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

I thought that I was getting something similar with my home insurance

At the moment I'm looking at about £200+ a year :(

I’ve used Admiral and Legal & General, both were reasonably priced compared to cycle specific insurance. Even £200 a year is cheaper than cycle specific quotes that I was getting!
  • What happens to the premiums if you remove the "away from home" requirement?

Just keep your eye on it when out and about, NEVER leave it unattended, is be sensible.

I'm with LLoyds and I get the premium discounted because I bank with them. Other than the issue with the bike the insurance is great.

They will only cover the bike up to £500 and won't insure it separately as a high value item.
    Just something to be aware of check the fine print and ask, which is how I found out it wasn't insured.
  • I'm using TSB Pick and Protect Home Insurance. I don't have the actual home insurance, just the bike add on. They cover all my bikes and only want to know the value of the most expensive. It was about half the price of a policy for one bike and covers all.
  • I used velosure for mine.

Had a crash on my bike 5 days after! Bent handlebars, 2 screwed wheels, broken pedal and broken brake. A week later and I've got my bike back fully fixed and the money in my bank account (minus excess - 5% value of bike).

They also insure for theft etc to replace the bike minus 5% excess.

What I paid upfront has already been repaid in that one repair job so I'm happy with that. My home insurance didn't offer the cover for bikes I was looking for. When I change home insurance next year I'll be looking for one which does.