Parliament Square - crash today

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited August 2018 in Commuting chat
Anyone caught up in this? Sounds like some cyclists got hurt, big fingers crossed for everyone. Wondered why every police car in London was charging that way.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/14/car-crashes-security-barriers-houses-of-parliament

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Very glad to be working from home today.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yes, was thinking the same thing. Hope everyone who uses that route is okay
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    This twitter feed shows the where the cyclists were hit: https://twitter.com/KLM1?ref_src=twsrc% ... r%5Eauthor
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    That is my normal route, but got the train in today as I have a thing on after work.

Yes, hope that no one is seriously hurt.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Three people injured apparently but nobody seriously. Thank god.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Am on holiday so was thankfully not in the area at the time, would have been prob 10 mins before I go through there anyway but close enough. Hope all are ok.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Funny in a way that the cyclists were all waiting at a red traffic light - something that many drivers will say none of us ever do. Thankfully none of them appear to have been fatally injured and also good that none of the newspapers I've seen have allowed comments on articles about the event. If they had I'm sure the trolls would have been on there saying as they were cyclists they deserved it.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    squired wrote:
    Funny in a way that the cyclists were all waiting at a red traffic light - something that many drivers will say none of us ever do. Thankfully none of them appear to have been fatally injured and also good that none of the newspapers I've seen have allowed comments on articles about the event. If they had I'm sure the trolls would have been on there saying as they were cyclists they deserved it.

It's not advised to run the red in that location as they are armed police standing around and a shit load of them parked up so if you do plow through there's a good chance you might get pulled up for it.
  • Now that people have been released from hospital and all seem to be OK (although RIP to a few trusty steeds, I'd imagine), I think I can admit that when scrolling through the photos taken from the car sat behind the cyclists, I was half expecting one more with mechanics running past with armfuls of wheels. I think I might be having TdF withdrawal symptoms....
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Long may they continue to be that rubbish.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Glad to see no-one seriously hurt, there are now calls to pedestrianise the square (possibly allowing cycles?) which seems sensible, it's a horrible area for traffic anyway.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Not sure the MPs will ever allow pedestrianisation as enough of them complained about building the cycle lanes there. But it would be great if they could, I would personally love it if they tried to get the traffic to go underground near Parliament.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Pretty hard to build a tunnel - it must be on top of the circle line, the jubilee line, and the main London sewer plus god knows what else!

It's also a huge waste of money. Just cut the speed limit to 5mph in the area, install average speed cameras everywhere, and people will walk or cycle instead unless they have literally no alternative.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    inbike wrote:
    Pretty hard to build a tunnel - it must be on top of the circle line, the jubilee line, and the main London sewer plus god knows what else!

It's also a huge waste of money. Just cut the speed limit to 5mph in the area, install average speed cameras everywhere, and people will walk or cycle instead unless they have literally no alternative.

Isn't the average speed through ps typically only 5mph anyway ?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...