Chain not sitting on granny ring only

Deano18
Deano18 Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all.

I have changed my chain,crankset,front and rear derailluler and gear cables. I have assembled everything and indexed the gears everything is fine bar the chain is not sitting properly in just the granny gear so as soon as i go to put any pressure on the chain it slips. If any one can help it would be much appreciated thanks

Comments

• I take it by granny gear you mean the largest cog on the cassette?

You've changed a lot of the transmission, but you didn't list the cassette as being part of that, could be it's toast?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That is the classic sign of a new chain on a worn cassette
  • Deano18
    Deano18 Posts: 3
    I take it by granny gear you mean the largest cog on the cassette?

You've changed a lot of the transmission, but you didn't list the cassette as being part of that, could be it's toast?

Sorry i forgot to mention i changed the cassette and by granny gear i mean the smallest cog
  • keef66
    In that case have you used a 12 T lockring with an 11 T smallest sprocket?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Deano18 wrote:
    I take it by granny gear you mean the largest cog on the cassette?

Sorry i forgot to mention i changed the cassette and by granny gear i mean the smallest cog

Just for future reference: the granny gear is the largest sprocket and smallest chainring.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    Rings at the front, sprockets at the back. So granny ring - as you titled the thread - suggests the inner chainring, especially of a triple.

Granny gear as Svelty says.

My money's still on the wrong lockring with an 11t sprocket. Or the very remote possibility of an issue with joining the chain (wrong quicklink / directional quicklink on backwards /other stiff link etc)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    keef66 wrote:
    Rings at the front, sprockets at the back. So granny ring - as you titled the thread - suggests the inner chainring, especially of a triple.

Granny gear as Svelty says.

My money's still on the wrong lockring with an 11t sprocket. Or the very remote possibility of an issue with joining the chain (wrong quicklink / directional quicklink on backwards /other stiff link etc)
    Or limit screw needs adjusting to allow mech to move outboard a fraction further.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D