Fantasy Perfect Turbo App

pblakeney
pblakeney Posts: 25,597
Looking for the perfect app.

I like the idea of Fulgaz with 4k video routes to choose from.
I like the interaction and competiveness of Zwift.

Any app, current or anticipated, that merges the two?

Fulgaz will lack the competiveness while Zwift is a bit basic gaming IMO.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• Wahoo Fitness App is the perfect training app.
  • pblakeney
    Wahoo Fitness App is the perfect training app.
    In what way? It appears to simply track what you are doing, not provide inspiration or distraction from the tedium of a turbo.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Rouvy has promise.
    Will look in greater detail later. Thanks!

Edit:- Rouvy has promise, but is in the early days and lacks the Zwift participation interaction AFAICS. That could be coming....Then again, so could "real" videos in Zwift.
    Trials of both to come, but I imagine that Zwift will win out in the long run.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    I just noticed the Turbo section. Oops :oops:
    Mods, please delete.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • It's easy to use and exports the data the data from your workouts.

Manual ERG mode has many benefits. You can warm-up dynamically based on how your muscles are feeling. You can add or extend intervals if you need to because you're feeling extra strong or just remembered tomorrow's business trip / forced recovery. You can adjust recovery watts or remove all resistance, get out of the saddle and stretch and spin back up, etc. There are too many benefits to mention.

Short intervals aren't tedious, they're just painful. Who cares what's on the wall or in front of you? It's balls out.

Long intervals can be tedious but they are a hundred things you can do to distract yourself. Music. Phone. TV. Any media really. Or just let your mind wander. Or brainstorm something and ask Siri to send emails to yourself when inspiration strikes. For me, I just focus on my pedaling and breathing but understand others have needs.

For long indoor rides I can definitely see something like Zwift helping to pass the time and it definitely does. Strangely, I've been enjoying longer fixed power rides at aerobic threshold and just playing with my phone and getting out of the saddle or off the bike as much as I need to stay comfortable. It's actually been awesome but definitely not for everyone.

The perfect app is your brain. The worst apps purport to replace your brain and tell you that they know better than you what you need and you shouldn't have to bother because everything's so complicated etc.

The worst by far, however, is people jumping straight to apps as a solution for everything and in all walks of life for that matter.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Wahoo Fitness App is the perfect training app.
    In what way? It appears to simply track what you are doing, not provide inspiration or distraction from the tedium of a turbo.
  • pblakeney
    Sounds like you take training a bit more seriously than I do.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Road Grand Tours is an interesting one. It's more "realistic" than Zwift; your avatar slows for corners (no matter how many watts you put out) and you need to accelerate out, etc. The courses are all recreations of real life places, graphics are slowly improving. Lots more on-screen training data than Zwift. Only thing is there's not many courses or users as it's currently still beta testing.

Personally I wasn't blown away by it and stopped using it, but it's worth a try if you're into the interactive side of things while still wanting a bit of realism.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

Road Grand Tours is an interesting one. It's more "realistic" than Zwift; your avatar slows for corners (no matter how many watts you put out) and you need to accelerate out, etc. The courses are all recreations of real life places, graphics are slowly improving. Lots more on-screen training data than Zwift. Only thing is there's not many courses or users as it's currently still beta testing.

Personally I wasn't blown away by it and stopped using it, but it's worth a try if you're into the interactive side of things while still wanting a bit of realism.
    Sounds like I am a little bit ahead of the curve. Another one to try in the early stages.
    I am sure one App will get there, and soon. They will make a killing if the competition isn't there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Tacx Desktop App (TDA) is good, although limited to Tacx trainers for now, apparently wider compatability will come later this year. It has numerous real life video courses along with the option for creating workouts based on slope, HR, power, etc. I've used the older TTS4 software for years and this is essentially bringing that up to date with a more polished UI and cloud based software. You can download and try 3 of the course for free currently.