HIIT vs 4 hour runs

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
What is the most effective way to increase FTP? HIIT or 4 hour long rides?

Personally, I don’t seem to be progressing that much anymore from the 4 hour rides which is why I am now trying to do alot of high-intensity training to see if I respond better to that.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It probably depends what you are doing on the 4 hour rides. Most people who race will do a mixture of longer stuff and high intensity - the mix will depend on time available and the aim. The right mix is a matter for debate of course but yes I know people who have gone into long distance cycling and upped their mileage but found they lose a bit of top end.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Both.

You won't be able to do HIIT unless you have some base fitness.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/3-workouts-to-raise-your-functional-threshold-power/

A mix of intervals and a longer ride. I'm not sure if the intervals suggested in the article count as HIIT as they are probably too long. Also, what is your aim? Is it purely to have greater power over an hour or are you looking at a general improvement in your cycling? If all you are looking at doing is increasing power to race a 10 or 25 mile TT then it may be that the 4 hour rides become less important.
  • What is your target event duration?
    What is your aerobic decoupling for your 4 hour rides?
  • These are great, especially to get started before higher intensities if haven't already been sprinkling in higher intensities into endurance rides.
    Pross wrote:
    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/3-workouts-to-raise-your-functional-threshold-power/

A mix of intervals and a longer ride. I'm not sure if the intervals suggested in the article count as HIIT as they are probably too long. Also, what is your aim? Is it purely to have greater power over an hour or are you looking at a general improvement in your cycling? If all you are looking at doing is increasing power to race a 10 or 25 mile TT then it may be that the 4 hour rides become less important.
  • Seriously Hard Interval Training Sessions for you my son
    SHITS
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles