Restore a trek 2300 and make it more comfortable?

Phillyoz87
Phillyoz87 Posts: 2
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I have an '05 trek 2300. It's actually in pretty good shape with ultegra gear set, mostly original parts where it matters, and no cracks in the frame/carbon fork".

I want to turn this into a more comfortable, daily use thats still fast, but also want to give it some new life. So...

1) If the gearset is "ok", is it worth upgrading( being 13 years old)?

2) Can you make this bike a bit more comfortable to handle high curbs, bad potholes and a bit of offroading? I'm a pretty wrekless rider. Thanks!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Phillyoz87 wrote:
    I have an '05 trek 2300. It's actually in pretty good shape with ultegra gear set, mostly original parts where it matters, and no cracks in the frame/carbon fork".

I want to turn this into a more comfortable, daily use thats still fast, but also want to give it some new life. So...

1) If the gearset is "ok", is it worth upgrading( being 13 years old)?

2) Can you make this bike a bit more comfortable to handle high curbs, bad potholes and a bit of offroading? I'm a pretty wrekless rider. Thanks!

1. if you want to upgrade it go for it. absoloutely nothing stoppong you. Throw some Ultegra on it. The frame is modern enough tgat you can throw some Carbonzone/Farsports/Aksiums on tgerd with no dramas.

2. Heavier wheels, wider tyres, lower pressures. Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The 2300 model goes back to 1992. What frame does it have. Is it the one with the carbon stays? What wheels (rim internal width) and tyre width do you have.

Wider rims and wider tyres help with comfort and grip. Tubeless tyres improve matter again.

Fit the biggest tyre you can to the bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like you would be better off on an MTB with slick tyres.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    or a cx bike.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    Road bikes can ride rough stuff. I ride mine off road sometimes. Martyn Ashton did stunts on a colnago that most can't do on any bike. Road bikes are capable.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Phillyoz87 wrote:
    to handle high curbs, bad potholes and a bit of offroading? I'm a pretty wrekless rider.

Whilst the Trek can be improved to accommodate this it will never really be that good. A cross bike or hard-tail would be better tbh
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    We all know road bikes can handle rough stuff - but the OP wants itc comfortable.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    get a seatpost with some shockabsorbtion or suspension in it and some gel bartape .

Your tyre width options are limited.

the c 24 shimano wheels are very comfy and ive found them to be surprisingly tough too. (this is adding more cost than the bikes worth though)
  • cycleclinic
    My 1992 2300 is comfortable. Done 240 miles on it.

So yes I know what I am saying.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    My 1992 2300 is comfortable. Done 240 miles on it.

So yes I know what I am saying.

thats not much in 26 years