Chain ring sizes

eforce123
eforce123 Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Road general
I would like to change both chain rings to smaller sizes. I have a 52/36 and I want the smallest one Shimano or SRAM makes. I found a 34T but can i find smaller. I would like a 44/32 if possible

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Road bike will usually be 110 bcd or the larger 130bcd. (where the chain bolts fit)
    Yours will prob be 110bcd.
    Example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stronglight- ... 2188238578
    Outers down to 46t and inner at 34t.

I know tradition is out of fashion, but bigger road gearing is there for a reason.
    You get used to it.
    I've succombed to the ageing process and use 52/36 nowadays
  • So I can't get anything smaller than a 34T for the small chainring?
  • eforce123 wrote:
    So I can't get anything smaller than a 34T for the small chainring?

If you go triple you can.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Yes it makes sense but it is quite a major overhaul of the bike to fit. Also it's a bit of Internet hunt to track in stock items down. Even with Tiagra you are looking at a budget 250 to 300 quids... just for a chainring.
  • Thought I had seen Shimano 46/30T chainsets recently, can't see them now, only 46/36T.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Seems like you might want a super compact chainset. Have a look at these. You would need a square taper bottom bracket to match. There are others available such as Sugino with external cup bottom brackets.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p33 ... cral-Rings
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    FSA do a 48/32 chainset. Seen it on a Felt VR40 I was looking at the other day.

or this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/praxis-work ... 2-EV316128

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    FSA do a 48/32 chainset. Seen it on a Felt VR40 I was looking at the other day.

or this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/praxis-work ... 2-EV316128

Be aware, this crank needs a special bottom bracket. You can't use it with one designed for a Shimano standard 24mm spindle.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Absolute black do 32 & 30 shimano comaptible chainrings. If you don’t mind oval rings.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Doval are a korean company who trade through Ebay.
    They do 30/46 chainrings to fit 110 bcd Shimano 4 arm cranks (6800 etc) and 110 bcd 5 arm FSA type cranks.
    I have 2 sets and they are excellent.

Edit - They are also very cheap, mine were under £40 each.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    W12 lad wrote:
    They do 30/46 chainrings to fit 110 bcd Shimano 4 arm cranks (6800 etc) and 110 bcd 5 arm FSA type cranks.

Interesting. Do these come with all the bolts required? I've looked on eBay; shame that they only seem to sell with an auction format.

I've been looking for a set of 46/30 rings. I've seen AbsoluteBlack's offering, but they're ~£150 with shipping. I've used an AbsoluteBlack oval inner ring and actually really like it, so the oval shape appeals assuming shifting isn't compromised (my experience of an oval inner ring is that it has no negative impact on shifting at all).
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    AKH wrote:
    W12 lad wrote:

Interesting. Do these come with all the bolts required? I've looked on eBay; shame that they only seem to sell with an auction format.

I've been looking for a set of 46/30 rings. I've seen AbsoluteBlack's offering, but they're ~£150 with shipping. I've used an AbsoluteBlack oval inner ring and actually really like it, so the oval shape appeals assuming shifting isn't compromised (my experience of an oval inner ring is that it has no negative impact on shifting at all).

They come with all the bolts. The oval is so slight on these that I can't even tell they're oval when off the bike let alone when riding.
  • JGSI wrote:
    Yes it makes sense but it is quite a major overhaul of the bike to fit. Also it's a bit of Internet hunt to track in stock items down. Even with Tiagra you are looking at a budget 250 to 300 quids... just for a chainring.

Does a Chiron even have enough boot space for a Tiagra chainring? Might rule out click and collect.