Vitus Sentier VR+ 2018 VS. Whyte 901 2018?

jimishep
jimishep Posts: 37
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking at buying one of these two bikes but can't for the life of me make a decision. The Vitus comes in at £899 with BC discount where as the Whyte is on sale in my local store for £999. All help is appreciated regards spec, reviews, etc...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod159770

https://www.whyte.bike/901/

:D

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Best way is a test ride.
    No test ride? Which one floats your boat just looking at it?
    If there really is nothing to choose between them and the reviews in magazines and the 'net don't help, Then toss a coin to decide and if you don't like the answer, choose the other one!
  • jimishep
    Best way is a test ride.
    No test ride? Which one floats your boat just looking at it?
    If there really is nothing to choose between them and the reviews in magazines and the 'net don't help, Then toss a coin to decide and if you don't like the answer, choose the other one!

Good advice. On that basis it’s looking like the Whyte. The Vitus seems better value for the money but I do very much like the look of the 901. On the other hand the Vitus being MBR sub £1000 bike of the year is hard to argue with.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    So toss the coin! :lol:
  • jimishep
    So toss the coin! :lol:

Vitus wins 8)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Whoop!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • jimishep
    Beside the coin toss tactic I’ve managed to test ride the 901 and safe to say it was excellent. My only concern is the plus tyres. They actually felt decent on the road/paths but I imagine over a fair few miles they would be kinda sluggish.

If I did go for the 901 what would be a good tyre swap out for more leisurely road/path miles? I’m buying the bike for a 50/50 combo of trails and leisure riding.

Thanks.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    jimishep wrote:
    Beside the coin toss tactic I’ve managed to test ride the 901 and safe to say it was excellent. My only concern is the plus tyres. They actually felt decent on the road/paths but I imagine over a fair few miles they would be kinda sluggish.

If I did go for the 901 what would be a good tyre swap out for more leisurely road/path miles? I’m buying the bike for a 50/50 combo of trails and leisure riding.

Thanks.

Everyone has their own preferences, so it's all personal choice.

On my FS I run Conti Traik Kings 2.25. Good tyres for off-road and ok on the road (hard to find a tyre that is good at both).

Having said that - my HT has Panaracer Fire Xc Pro 2.1's and they are good off road but also very quick on the road. Can pump up to 45psi (or more) for the road. Only problem is that they don't go any bigger than 2.1 and it seems that current trend is `wider is better`.

Both sets of tyres are run tubeless.

I'm sure you'll get other replies as well.
    "Ride, crash, replace"