Miracle needed - MTB for around 200-300?

Brooky89
Brooky89 Posts: 12
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I recently bought a bike from Argos (even though I was told not to...) and ended up taking it back and getting a refund.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8042235

I'm looking for a decent bike to get fit on and eventually take to an Urban Bike Park near my location.

At max, I only have £300 to spend. I've been looking at Carerras from Halfords but I've had bad experiences with Halfords in the past.

I'm very unsure what to do as I weigh 17 stone. I've had a look at the forum page but it seems to be out of date.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Brooky89
    I've also been looking at these two:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-5 ... 51007.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-s ... 21013.html

There doesn't seem to be a difference but it's so confusing.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I can't see the difference between the two other than colour, but it's a decent bike for the money and probably the best you can get at that price point unless you buy 2nd hand.

I'm not sure it would be suited to the bigger jumps at a bike park though, but certainly would be good for trails.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Brooky89
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I can't see the difference between the two other than colour, but it's a decent bike for the money and probably the best you can get at that price point unless you buy 2nd hand.

I'm not sure it would be suited to the bigger jumps at a bike park though, but certainly would be good for trails.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not too fussed for the jumps but want to try the gravel trails. Are these better than the carreras?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Second hand is what you need.
  • Brooky89
    cougie wrote:
    Second hand is what you need.

I'm super concerned about second hand as there are no warranties etc. I have no clue how to adjust anything etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You'll have to learn then. Just like you would with a brand new bike. A set of Allen keys is all you need fit 80% of jobs.

Buying a cheap bike isn't a good idea. Cheap stuff breaks and is just less reliable than the more expensive but better made equipment.
  • CitizenLee
    Brooky89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not too fussed for the jumps but want to try the gravel trails. Are these better than the carreras?

That's cool, should be perfect for the gravel tracks and forests etc.

I know the B'Twin is one of the most popular/recommended bikes at this price but I'd maybe see if any of the other forums members can vouch for Carrera as I'm not too familiar with their recent models. The Vendetta looks a decent buy for £350 though.

As for second hand, you can scoop up some real bargains but you do kinda need to know what to look for otherwise it's easy to end up with a stinker or something that has probably been stolen.

Does your work have a Cycle 2 Work scheme?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That Argos bike "•Weight fully assembled 18kg."

That's a 40lb monster.

:shock:
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would suggest you also look for second hand. You will get far more for your money and ultimately if you are going to run a mountain bike you'll want to learn the basics of maintenance which apply on new and used. Like cougie says a second hand better bike will break a lot less than something sub £300.

If you can stretch slightly, the Calibre TwoTwo isn't a bad bike... https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-tw ... ke-p383858
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • CitizenLee
    Whilst I agree that used bikes offer much better value at the lower end of the scale, I'd still argue it's probably best to learn about bikes and bike maintenance after you've bought a decent one. No use potentially buying a lemon and then having to spend loads to get it up and running. Negates any potential savings you'd make going used in the first place.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Brooky89
    Thanks everyone. I agree fully that I need to be able to fix and sort gears out but I want something new so I can just take it out and then learn as I go. Are those Decathlon bikes I linked decent for the money?

Thanks again.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Brooky89 wrote:
    Are those Decathlon bikes I linked decent for the money?
    100% will not get better for the money new.
    I wouldn't be scared of buying used though, I recently sold a perfectly good On One Inbred for £250, 26" wheels and steel isn't fashionable anymore so it really didn't go for a lot of money.
  • Brooky89
    This is the issue really. I have no friends or family who know anything about bikes so I'm alone really. My local bike mechanic suggested some bikes to me from a shop about 5 miles away but they were all £500-£600 which is out of budget.

The issue with the Decathlons I linked are that the nearest shop is over an hour away whilst my local Halfords is 5 minutes.

I'm super unsure what to do as I really like the look and feel of the Carerra Vengeance. Halfords said they would keep the 20% knocked off I saw it at last week making it £264.
  • Brooky89
    oxoman wrote:
    For the money they're not bad value to be honest, eldest lads mate recently got one and he bikes most days on it. You could always get the vendetta and upgrade when you've money and experience.

The Vendetta is out of budget :(

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... bestseller

This one doesn't seem shocking. I may be wrong though.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't post Halfords webapp links, there is no information accessible!

Not too bad for the money (was never a £425 bike though), the cable discs are marginal but a later upgrade to hydraulics could be done for circa £40-70. Its also a 29er so great for faster riding its not really for an urban bike park at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Brooky89
    The Rookie wrote:

Not too bad for the money (was never a £425 bike though), the cable discs are marginal but a later upgrade to hydraulics could be done for circa £40-70. Its also a 29er so great for faster riding its not really for an urban bike park at all.

Apologies. I didn't realise I'm not allowed to post links.

I'm mostly using it on the road anyway with the odd time on the trails. £275 seems okay. It's that or the Vengeance which I can get for £264.

I'm considering travelling to Sheffield to see if I can have a look at those Decathlons.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You are allowed to post links, but that link is useless as there are no specifications (as I said...).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Rookie wrote:
    You are allowed to post links, but that link is useless as there are no specifications (as I said...).

What browser are you using, The Rookie.
    If I follow that link I can see the specs listed. I have to scroll down the page but they are there. Using IE11.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If it's therse two carrreras, the vengeance is listed as being 14kg and the sulcata 15kg, so i think id take the vengeance.
    Other than that theres not much in it.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike-black-16-18-20-22-frames

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-sulcata-mens-mountain-bike-silver
  • Brooky89
    The Rookie wrote:

In respect to the trails. Will the Sulcatta or the Vengeance be better?

Thanks.
  • Brooky89
    mattyfez wrote:
    If it's therse two carrreras, the vengeance is listed as being 14kg and the sulcata 15kg, so i think id take the vengeance.
    Other than that theres not much in it.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike-black-16-18-20-22-frames

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-sulcata-mens-mountain-bike-silver

Yeah those 2 thanks. So which would be a better choice for fitness on roads and the odd trail at the weekend?

TIA
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Well they are both very similar really but if the specification is right then I'd go for the vengeance as it's a kg lighter. I suspect it might be a typo on one of the descriptions though.
  • Brooky89
    mattyfez wrote:
    Well they are both very similar really but if the specification is right then I'd go for the vengeance as it's a kg lighter. I suspect it might be a typo on one of the descriptions though.

Thank you. So out of the Decathlons or the Carreras, which would be a better buy?

Thanks again.