Spokes breaking - advice

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited August 2018 in Road general
Morning all,

Just wanted to see how far to push with this.

Friend bought a Propel off a big internet retailer 3 months ago, has now had 3 broken spokes (3 separate occasions).
Twice he's had them repaired by a local LBS, third time, the spoke went and the wheel went so out of true it was unrideable.

He only does 2-3 rides a week, bike is well looked after, so its not as if its being badly mistreated.
After contacting said retailer, they said its general wear and tear and nothing they could do.

Is this the case? I've never had this myself in all the years I've been riding, so not sure what to advise.
Surely theres something under the sale of goods act that the bike should at least be in condition to be used as stated??

He understandably wants to get new wheels, I honestly think the least they could do is offer some discount towards them - or am I being unreasonable?

Just thought i'd ask if anyone on here would have a more definitive answer on whether he is right to pursue, or is it just a case of bad luck?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Both wheels or just rear?

Is your friend particularly heavy? He might be better off getting a rear wheel with a higher spoke count.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Once a spoke has broken, the others, particularly adjacent ones, will be under more strain. This can lead to a cascade of spoke failures particularly with low spoke count wheels.

The law as I understand it says that within the first 12 months the presumption is that if there is a defect, a product is not fit for purpose, unless the vendor can show otherwise. Mostly this involves sending things back for imaginative interpretations of what might constitute crash damage, incorrect assembly and the like.

Since a wheel is supposed to last 1000s miles, "wear and tear" is a feeble fob off.

This situation has been made more complex by having an lbs do a repair, rather than the original vendor. My hunch is that by not going straight back to the vendor, your friend has given that vendor an "out" and that he will be s.o.o.l.

All this said, screwing over ones customers is not normally seen to be a good idea so I would still give it a good try with their complaints department. Nothing ventures...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I suggest quoting this at them - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... ty-product

Within the first six months, the presumption is that the wheel was faulty from new. They should replace.

Of course, if you want something that actually lasts, then it would be worth buying new spokes and getting a competent wheelbuilder to rebuild the wheel.

If the spokes were at inadequate tension from new, then you can get this cascading effect where spokes keep breaking - it's metal fatigue - like bending the head of a spoon backwards and forwards - sooner or later they all start going pop.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    rebuild the wheel with nw spokes. a warranty replacement can be sought but it may be no better than the one you have. a rebuild is the answer or just pony up for better wheels.

It is easy to build wheels where the spokes last longer than rim. so simple in fact i wonder why not all wheels are like this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks all.

I'll get him to try again with another email, but I guess its 50/50 at best whether he'll get any sort of discount or replacement.

The way forward I think is a nice new set of wheels, and rebuild the stock wheel and keep as a winter set.
    Don't worry...ill not start another "what wheels should he get" thread :lol::lol::lol:
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If he's 90+ kgs and a masher with low spoke count wheels......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D