Specialized Footbeds

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
I had to replace my Spesh Road Expert shoes when the strap snapped. I upgraded to the Torch model and have been using them now for almost 3 months.

I bought the same size and generally they feel right except at about 60miles+ I start to get hot spots under the outer sides of the forefoot. It can happen on both shoes or just one. It doesn't always happen.

I use high arch insoles (orthotics) in running and walking shoes but never felt the need to do so in my previous Spesh shoes.

Is it worth considering the BG Insoles? If so which ones are best for feet which are a bit flat?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    the original bg insoles came in three versions...

red, +, some arch support, also found in other colours as the default insole in bg shoes
    blue, ++, extra arch support
    green, +++, even more

the insoles all have a metatarsal button which can help avoid hotspot/pain on longer rides, they also come with a set of wedges and a guide on how to select them

the current bg sl range follows the same colour coding, but i don't think they ship with any wedges

from what you describe, try blue, though if there's a bg store near you they can measure you and help choose
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • navrig2
    Thanks SG.

Just need to find some in stock.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have very high arches and custom sidas insoles were probably the best money I've spent on cycling. I paid £100 3 injury-free years ago.

I was previously using the Green BG insoles and at the time the fitter commented that he could see they were not sufficient as I was having to 'grip' with my toes which left wear marks. Just my 2p though.
  • navrig2
    Thanks Joey.

I've ordered the blue BG versions. I'll see how they feel.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    if you need more support than blue, then as joey54321 says, look at other options

fwiw for me bg blue didn't have enough support, i tried the bg green but then the support was in the wrong place, i also tried custom ones but they couldn't mould them high enough and the forefoot wasn't good on long rides

best of all for me are e-fit (no longer available), i still treasure my e-fits, they've survived several pairs of shoes now

closest to e-fit these days is the g8 2620, similar concept but a bit bulkier, might be worth a look if the blue bg isn't right for you
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I was going to order Specialized ones but then spotted the Giro ones:

giro-xstatic-supernatural-footbed-fit-kit-black-EV247376-9999-1.jpg
  • navrig2
    Interesting Pastry.

I've ordered the Spesh ones but if they don't feel right I'll look at the Giro.

Thanks.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    The blue Specialized ones are the best thing i ever bought for comfort on the bike. Started getting foot pain from nowhere, had it for a few weeks. Got some of these and had nothing since for 30,000+km.
  • navrig2
    cgfw201 wrote:
    The blue Specialized ones are the best thing i ever bought for comfort on the bike. Started getting foot pain from nowhere, had it for a few weeks. Got some of these and had nothing since for 30,000+km.

Thanks. Just had an email from the website. They are on backorder. They are checking around their stores. Many websites including the Specialized website show them as out of stock!!

Bugga.
  • navrig2
    I bought these in the blue version and tried them over the weekend. I did 170 miles over 2 days and no issues with hotspots at all. They seem to have fixed the issue.

Interestingly after taking of my shoes, wearing trainers for an hour and then jumped in the shower it felt like I had pads under my heels. Lasted for a short period and then went away. Bit strange but after no effects this morning.

I'd recommend these footbeds at £23 it was a relatively cheap solution although it does mean my new shoes cost £223!!