Halfords Vouchers 10% off?

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
I have the BC 10% off

I can see a website called zeek [or something] that gets you 6% off

I was told there are lots of places that you can buy vouchers for 10% off

As this is a big spend [for me] 1.4k+ - and I don’t have a cycle to work scheme, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a place that you can get vouchers for 10% off [?]

Thanks for any and all help

x

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I would be surprised if you can apply 2 discounts, is that what you mean?
    Dave
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Might be worth asking in the bargains thread in commuting. They're experts in these matters over there.
  • inkj
    I'm sure you can use both discounts

As the buying of vouchers - they won't notice - it's like cash by the time you use them

Thanks for the help
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Usually the 10% off vouchers are via company benefit schemes.
    We have a scheme in work via EdenRed. The vouchers have full face value but the purchaser only pays 90% of that value.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 1se7en
    1se7en Posts: 19
    I used Zeek to buy vouchers but Zeek is a marketplace that varies the amounts the vouchers can be bought for, when I bought mine, they were varying between 6-10% depending on the amount of the purchase but now it looks like a flat rate of 6%. Who knows if they will go back to 10%, or maybe it will be less in future. Hard to say with a marketplace that changes constantly.

I dont know of other sites you can use like zeek to buy vouchers. Only other thing to suggest is to make sure to use quidco for cashback as well if you really into saving. I bought my bike from Halfords, Used the vouchers I got from zeek for 10% off but they wouldnt honour the BC discount of 10%, I tried to haggle that but they wouldnt do it.
    and then using quidco on the bike purchase online, On the £520 voodoo bizango, I will get back £15. It takes several months, sometimes 6 or more for them to give you the cashback but if you really counting every penny then every little helps. You could also get cashback on the zeek vouchers using quidco, think for all the vouchers I bought, will get like £1 cashback as well. Thats the only extras I can offer to this thread, Use them, dont use them but as always do your own research and stay safe when using other sites!
  • inkj
    Thanks

I'm shocked that they didn't honour your BC discount; I have already checked with Halfords CS and have been told they will. So I have my fingers crossed.

Not sure what you mean by used quidco [?] that’s the same sort of thing as ‘topcashback’? I just joint topcashback – to hopefully get a bit extra back from my zeek voucher purchases.

What I mean by ‘I’m not sure what you mean’ – as you say you got £15 back when you bought the voodoo… but surely you got it back when you bought the vouchers [from Zeek]? And then didn’t get anything back when you used the vouchers in store. Or did you buy online? As I don’t think Halfords accept BC discount online.

You say you got £1 cash back [quidco – or for me topcash] from Zeek purchases, how much did you spend to get the £1 back? – I really don’t understand what I will get back. As I don’t get the website, at all. And I’m sure it will track long after I have finished buying vouchers this time. I’ve only bought one £150 voucher as I wanted to see what ‘topcash’ gave me… before buying another one.

Thanks for the help
  • inkj
    P.S. you got the voodoo bizango [?]

I'm getting the 16" small one [around 5ft8"]

How have you found the seat [?]

You didn't buy the Voodoo waterproof jacket by any chance [?] as it looks fun, and if it really keeps me dry that would be a good purchase

Thanks
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes - I am confused. Halfords would have no way of knowing where you got your vouchers or that you got them discounted, nor would they care. As far as they are concerned, they are the same as cash. No way should they refuse your BC discount on that basis.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Inkj wrote:

I'm getting the 16" small one [around 5ft8"]

s

How did you derive frame size?

A couple of guides I looked at recommend small frame up to 5 ft 6, meaning somebody of your heght, 5 ft 8 should be riding a medium.
  • 1se7en
    1se7en Posts: 19
    Inkj wrote:
    Thanks

I'm shocked that they didn't honour your BC discount; I have already checked with Halfords CS and have been told they will. So I have my fingers crossed.

Not sure what you mean by used quidco [?] that’s the same sort of thing as ‘topcashback’? I just joint topcashback – to hopefully get a bit extra back from my zeek voucher purchases.

What I mean by ‘I’m not sure what you mean’ – as you say you got £15 back when you bought the voodoo… but surely you got it back when you bought the vouchers [from Zeek]? And then didn’t get anything back when you used the vouchers in store. Or did you buy online? As I don’t think Halfords accept BC discount online.

You say you got £1 cash back [quidco – or for me topcash] from Zeek purchases, how much did you spend to get the £1 back? – I really don’t understand what I will get back. As I don’t get the website, at all. And I’m sure it will track long after I have finished buying vouchers this time. I’ve only bought one £150 voucher as I wanted to see what ‘topcash’ gave me… before buying another one.

Thanks for the help

Yea, I think there is something that says they dont have to honour the BC discount if an item is already on sale, so the Bizango is usually 650, but currently on sale for 520 so thats why they wouldnt budge. Some guys get lucky and they honour it ofcourse as quite a few have said they managed to get them to honour it but for me they didnt, but it was only like £50 so I didnt really push it to much.

Quidco is like topcashback yea, just check which one gives the better rate I guess. I spent £200 at zeek to get the £1 cashback and then again another £200 but they didnt give cashback a second time for some reason. Basically when using quidco, just go to quidco, find the site you want to browse then make sure to go to the site through quidco and then once quidco refers you to the website and you make a purchase then you will get the cashback tracked. If you are going to sign up to quidco, please hit me up on private message so I can send you a referral link. I would appreciate that referral link being used if you are going to sign up. Like i said though, once tracked it takes a couple of months before you get the cashback in your account but its decent if you use it for loads of purchases. Ive had nearly £700 worth of cashback over 2 years from items ive purchased, like car insurance, mobile phones, internet packages, clothes. all sorts really.

The Bizango's seat is rock hard, ive ridden it probably about 70 miles now and it still hurts my ass :lol:
    I didnt get the jacket though, so cant comment on that.

As for the size, the Bizango site says the small is from 5ft5 to 5ft10 riders. Im 5ft10, ordered the medium but when I got it they gave me the 16" frame, I didnt notice for 3 weeks then saw it was a 16" frame but it still just about fits me fine. If I was to get it again id want the 18" frame. The 18" may fit you but have a look in shop and ask them to help fit the right one to you.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Ah - OK, your email made it sound like the vouchers were the reason they didnt do the BC discount.

There are some wooly rules which say they dont offer BC discount on discounted stuff - I think its usually when its a web only discount not available in store but you are collecting in store anyway. I find it a bit random but in my town there are 3 Halfords. 1 is not in a convenient location for me, 1 sometimes doesnt give me BC discount and 1 usually/always does. Guess which one I use most...!
  • inkj
    On topcashback it says this about Zeek

Zeek Offers
    Cashback
    Personalised Gift Card
    10.5%
    New Customer
    £6.30
    Existing Customer
    £1.05
    Seller
    £1.05

I don't really understand that

Are they saying that the max you can get is £1.05p in cash back [Quidco may be the same, but usually less - as it's suggested by moneysavingexpert.com that topcashback pays more]

Is that the max ever [?] maybe that's why you only got £1 then nothing

Or is that per transaction

I wondered - as I thought if it's per transaction - then I just need to buy the vouchers in multiple goes and in smaller amounts....

But as I don't understand, I can't work out what size voucher is the best amount to buy them in [to just hit £1.05 exactly]

So far I bought one voucher £150

But I don't think it will show up in my account for a long time, so I won't have my answers until long after I need all the vouchers
  • inkj
    I really wanted to get the 18" but when I saw their sizing chart I decided that it would be better to be smack in the middle of a suggested height range

5' 5" - 5' 10" 165 - 177 16"

5' 8" - 6' 1" 172 - 185 18"

5' 11" - 6' 3" 180 - 190 20"

6' 3" - 6' 5" 190 - 195 22"
  • inkj
    In the end I only bought the one Zeek voucher [£150 with 6% off]

As today and yesterday I bought £400 vouchers off ebay [that have to be posted]

So if you are looking eBay is a good source

The eBay ones were 10% or a bit over off

I have ended up with £1,216.46 in vouchers and got them for 10.15% off [£1,092.99]

I'm surprised at how many vouchers came up on eBay, and so glad that Topcashback [not showing me, so me waiting] meant that I didn't just buy all the vouchers at 6% off from them