Ultegra Di2 RD-6770 - trying to get to 32 cassette

Drummone
Drummone Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hello All
I recently purchased a Trek Madone 5.2 2014 for my wife. It has a Ultegra Di2 RD-6770 10 speed 11-28 compact installed. We are planning on doing to some rides in the Pyrenees this Autumn and so we are wanting to get a larger cassette as she is very new to cycling, 11-32 or 11-34.

I was thinking of installing a Wolftooth roadlink and then fitting a larger cage to deal with the 'chain wrap' problem
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... s/roadlink

Would this work? Is the larger cage necessary? Any other options?
From reading the forums, it appears that just buying a new derailleur will not fix the problem as it will not work with this old system. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    30 will straight off it that helps.

new rear mech is something like £160 anyway.

give your idea a bash and see how it goes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Will probably be fine with your current mech if you don't cross-chain. I have the same groupset and will be fitting a 32T cassette in prep for a sportive in the lakes sometime this week, I've read elsewhere it will be fine with perhaps some lengthening of the chain (but I have a habbit of not cross-chaining at all so I doubt I'll even bother adjusting the chain).

FWIW my wife has a short cage mechanical Ultegra rear-mech which came with a 28T that I swapped out with a 32T cassette and it has performed faultlessly for over 2,000 hilly miles.
  • thanks for this info - I'm sure a 32t would fit as is with careful use but she has a habit of cross chaining plus shifting from small to big when in the largest rear sprocket at the rear, even despite numerous words of advice! I'm worried that the mech may not be able to take it as is! Will order the roadlink and fit see what happens..!
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Fair enough, I managed to get it through to my Mrs that she can't do that and she has been very careful not to but I wouldn't have been keen if she did cross-chain regularly.

Let us know how the roadlink works out for you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I would just fit the 32 tooth cassette, adjust the B-screw and ride. Unless the chain is already at the outer limit of being long enough I very much doubt she'll have problems and unless she is putting out an awful lot of watts if she does shift into 'big-big' I doubt she'd do any harm before realising she needs to shift into the little ring. Messing with a Road Link would only be necessary if you wanted to fit a seriously large sprocket and doesn't address the chain length problem.
    If the chain is worn you could always fit a new one as insurance and adjust the length to accommodate the 32.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Ok - will have a go! Thanks for your help.